Using Wiffle Balls For Better Accuracy

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
Using Wiffle Balls For Better Accuracy

By Coach Hal Skinner

Many things can contribute to a pitch that is not accurate. In fact, ANYTHING that is not right with the mechanics and timing can cause that to happen.

In the case of a pitcher that is continually throwing her pitches too high, here is a suggestion for you to try. Once in awhile, have your pitcher practice her pitching with a wiffle ball, the kind with the holes in it.

If there is something that is not quite right with the mechanics and timing of her pitch, the wiffle ball will act like a magnifying glass and magnify the effect of the mistake by 10 times. Ex; if the release point is just a little bit late, the wiffle ball will go WAY high vs the softball just going a little too high.

If your pitcher is throwing the softball and it is coming in too high, have her throw the wiffle ball. It will pretty much go straight up to the roof with the exact same mistake. Have her find her strike zone with the wiffle ball. It may take a few pitches but she will adjust quickly. Then have her throw a dozen or two hard strikes with that wiffle ball.

Then, give her back the softball. The first one or two will probably be thrown into the dirt because of the added weight of the softball but she will adjust quickly. Then, watch those pitches stay straight and hit the spot she wants.

Too often pitchers will heavily rely on the weight of the ball to assist them in trying to attain good placement accuracy in the pitch. Take that weight away from them in practice and they have no choice but to rely on what their hand and fingers do to give them their accuracy. Once they get that realization with the wiffle ball, it will carry right over to throwing the softball too.

I have all my students work with wiffle balls now and then at our sessions. This is the best way I know for them to start thinking about the role the fingers and hand play in the pitch.

Those wiffle balls can work miracles if you let them. I have seen many a young pitcher fix their own little mistakes (most of the time unknowingly), by simply pitching the same pitch with a wiffle ball. This is one of the best 'fix it's' I know of when the 'ole pitching coach' is not there.

This is also how I taught my students 'Ginger finesse' for pinpoint accuracy.

Mar 30, 2011
Hey just want to say thanks for this tip its really helped improve my 10 yr old sons accuracy which is a relief after 5 months of practice. Feeling more condident he will be ready for our season which starts in October, cheers from NZ

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
Hey just want to say thanks for this tip its really helped improve my 10 yr old sons accuracy which is a relief after 5 months of practice. Feeling more condident he will be ready for our season which starts in October, cheers from NZ

You're both very welcome. Tell him to strike a few out for us old fart pitchers too! :)

Dec 10, 2010
A, A
I read your post the other day and ran right out and bought wiffle balls. We went to the field...all excited about trying this.....and was disappointed.

I'm not sure if we aren't doing something right, but the 1st pitch she threw....went straight into the air...sailed about 20 feet high, then came back down. Now, I know she isn't the most accurate pitcher, but I don't think her machanics are off that much. LOL We tried about 5 more and the same thing happened.

So, did she try to throw it too hard. When she pitches, her misses are just misses. I don't think her machanics are so bad that it should sent the ball THAT high.

Maybe we bought the wrong kind of balls. We got the yellow ones with (not really holes) but long slots.

Any help on what we are doing wrong on this drill would be appreciated.

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
I read your post the other day and ran right out and bought wiffle balls. We went to the field...all excited about trying this.....and was disappointed.

I'm not sure if we aren't doing something right, but the 1st pitch she threw....went straight into the air...sailed about 20 feet high, then came back down. Now, I know she isn't the most accurate pitcher, but I don't think her machanics are off that much. LOL We tried about 5 more and the same thing happened.

So, did she try to throw it too hard. When she pitches, her misses are just misses. I don't think her machanics are so bad that it should sent the ball THAT high.

Maybe we bought the wrong kind of balls. We got the yellow ones with (not really holes) but long slots.

Any help on what we are doing wrong on this drill would be appreciated.

Hi. Re-read the original post. The first three or four, that is exactly what SHOULD happen.

Dont let the wiffle ball touch the palm. Fingertip finesse is what we are tring to establish here.

Oh yes, dont give up so easy. She will get it.

Last edited:
May 31, 2011
Are you talking about the regular baseball sized wiffle balls we all played with as kids (I could atually throw a mean curve back in the day) or the softball sized balls with round holes all over the ball used for BP?

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
Are you talking about the regular baseball sized wiffle balls we all played with as kids (I could atually throw a mean curve back in the day) or the softball sized balls with round holes all over the ball used for BP?

"In the case of a pitcher that is continually throwing her pitches too high, here is a suggestion for you to try. Once in awhile, have your pitcher practice her pitching with a wiffle ball, the kind with the holes in it."

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MMMichigan1