Using text messaging to communicate off the field

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 7, 2010
Hey everyone, I'm new to the forum and would like to get your advice. What are your thoughts about using text messaging to communicate with players and parents outside of practice?

Aug 16, 2010
I create groups with parents/kids on team and send mass text regarding practice, weather, travel plans, etc. I tell the kids and parents up front and all are fine with that. I also tell them - that I will not as a matter of course respond to texts from the kids - I will to parents. Finally, I tell them if they have a question about anything (rain out, practice time, etc.) and they don't get a text, call me - I will not call them. They only have to make 1 call I have to make 12. My DDs' other coaches also use mass texts similarly.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
There are so many ways to communicate. I want to communicate with the parents - but some don't text.

When my DD played, I had her contact the girls.

I agree with not texting the girls, just in general. Like "Did you go to the movies?"

Depending on the girls age, I would think it would be OK to text - "We are rained out." And get a reply from them.

Personally, I really like e-mail and twitter. But, if people are in the car and on their way. I would phone or text. Usually I didn't make 12 calls, because most parents will help contact each other.

May 25, 2010
Texting is easier and faster than phoning and kids of all ages text. My daughter texts with her mom from my phone all the time.

Mar 13, 2010
Texts are good for quick, easy messages. So 'rained out' and so on. Emails are my prefered way of contacting parents.

When the kids are older (so U14s usually) we have a phone tree. Every person has to call one person (done in a list) to let them know the message from the coach. The rule is, if you don't talk to the person you leave a message and then call the next person.

Jul 28, 2008
I have been using texts for the last couple of years to text with the parents. It's great to let them know when something comes up last minute. Since all my parents text, they love it too. The first time I did it this year with my new parents, I got a bunch of "Wow, that was great! Add my wife/husband too, please." I don't text any of my players, but they're a young group. As they age up, I'm sure they will be added. I like lawdawg's stance and I may adopt something similar.

For other communication, I use email. I only have two parents who do not use email. They get a phone call or a hard copy when the need arises.

Jul 26, 2010
I use email primarily. Before the season I compile a list of how to communicate, and usually I have 1-2 exceptions who do not get email on their mobile phones so I text them. I usually tell parents/players that if they did not receive an email or text from me by XX time (say for Sunday's schedule) then they are to text/call me.

-W

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
I use email and a Facebook page I created. Email is good for the parents, but not all of the girls use email much. Funny how things change so quickly. But just about all are on Facebook. When I post a message on the page's wall, I believe anyone who has "liked" it gets a message on their wall. It seems to help.

For last-minute stuff, though, I use the phone. Usually by the time I get to the last few the girls have already texted each other with the message. But I call everyone anyway, so there's no excuse.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06