Communication with parents

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 11, 2010
Quincy, I agree. Younger kids can’t drive themselves to the game or practice and their parents need to be in the loop.

However…

At 16’s and above, especially if it is an exposure team, 99% of communication should go directly from coach to player and players should pass it on to their parents. Short term pain, long term gain. It is hard though. Parents desperately want to drag you into their un-organized, un-scheduled dysfunction.

Last edited:
Aug 8, 2016
I went through all this bs as a head coach last year.

I wanted to use GroupMe because the messages are kept forever unlike texts and most players and parents were already using it for their hs teams.

I also wanted to use it because there is an Android in every group. They do not work well with group texts. At all.

So… GroupMe. One parent, a dentist, a pitchers daddy and general pain in the rear, wouldn’t install it. His dd had never been on a school team because….. he is a pain in the rear. I had two older assistant coaches that would have preferred Morse Code but understood that that isn’t as widely used anymore but thought texts would work with their smart phones. Which they would, except…. Android. And they pretty much refused to use GroupMe.

Coaches have enough to worry about without having to herd cats for every update. But there are also enough easy solutions. They do need to use them.

Androids work well with actual group texts. If you are using Apple's proprietary version of messaging, it will not work with an Android, for obvious reasons. You would need to use actual text messages for cross platform communication or an app supported on both operating systems.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee