Using pitching machine balls for game play

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 11, 2011
Hi all -

I serve as a coach for 7-8 year-olds in our local rec league. We use a pitching machine for this league, using an umpire (high school player) to shoot the pitches. We use a low-compression ball on a standard Jugs machine.

At a recent coach/board meeting, a proposal was made to switch the ball for this league to some type specialized pitching machine ball. Apparently some parents thought there was too much inconsistency in the pitches - causing some kids to strike out. They took the kids to personal lessons where they hit consistently on pitches with these training balls.

To allow an unbiased discussion, I'll not elaborate on my opinion or reasoning. But - I'd like to hear what others think about such a move. Has anyone played this way - at this level?

I've coached for for the last 7 years at one level or another. I've always been extremely fortunate to be blessed with great kids and parents. Though I have my own opinion, I feel like I owe it to them to get the best information I can before taking a stance.

I'd appreciate any information supporting either side of the argument.

Thanks,
Steve

Feb 3, 2011
That was my thought, too. The people worried about the hitting are focused on the wrong thing - it's the fielding. They need to get out of the t-ball mentality. Strikeouts are part of the game at 8u, no matter whether you're talking player-pitch, coach-pitch, or machine-pitch.

Feb 11, 2011
They haven't presented the ball the want to use - still doing "evaluations". The one they seem to have their heart set on is not the dimpled ball, but one that is like the "lite-flite" ball - but with the same weight as regulation. Jugs sells it as a training ball. It has a simulated seam. JUGS Sting-Free Realistic-Seam Softballs

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Oh, that is totally different.

I am not certain that that ball is going to work any better in a Jugs machine. I think it would rip it all up. It certainly doesn't do my regulation softballs any good.

The 8 yo girls need to be pitching, but that wasn't your question. Good luck.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
Kids are always going to hit better in a cage then they do in a game. Even if you make everything about the machine and the balls identical, the pressure and the outside influences are vastly different. There has never been a, 2 outs, with a girl on 2nd and 3rd, grandma and grandpa drove accross town to watch you play, you have 2 strikes on you situation in a cage.

You are never at bat in a cage and have your team chanting to you and the other team staring at you, with the expectations of your parents on your mind in a cage.

What are the parents going to do when their little one faces a pitcher who spins the ball for the first time. Tell the league to not allow it?

Feb 11, 2011
By now, it's probably apparent that I'm not crazy about this idea. I'll go ahead and put my reasons out there to see if there's agreement or if I'm off base.
1) While it might help give more consistent pitches and let some kids get more hits, it will likely do more harm than good. This may give them a "swing at anything" mentality, and cause a lot of grief when they face the inconsistency of a live pitcher.

2) It may help to give them something to hit, but for the fielders it's going to be much different than handling a real ball. The feel of catching and throwing will be much different. It's going to put them at a great disadvantage if/when they play against a team that plays with a standard ball.

3) This is a drastic step to take just to get more consistent pitches. I believe a better first step would be to work with the umpires and identify issues affecting pitches. The condition of the wheel, the release of the ball - put together a protocol checklist to follow, and see that all umps do it uniformly. This had really not been done because hitting hadn't been viewed as a widespread problem.

4) Like Momo'sDad said - stikeouts are part of the game. In t-ball, we gave them a base on each bat to give them the opportunity to experience what they are working toward. At what point does accommodating some become punishing others?

Thanks for the responses so far. I'm certainly not a professional coach, so I'd really appreciate any input you can offer.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Maybe the pitching machine needs maintained. Has the air pressure in the wheel been checked? All of the bolts tightened? And has the gunk been sanded off the wheel?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ceez12