Using heavier bat in batting practice

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 15, 2011
This might have been discussed before so I apologize if it has. What are your thoughts on using a heavier bat during batting practice (machine, coach pitch, soft toss, etc.). Would this strengthen and quicken the swing or would it cause mechanics to change that would have negative influence when switching back to regular bat during game situations. I'm not talking about using a bat that is 6 ounces heavier or anything but maybe a few ounces heavier than they use normally. One of the local batting instructors that many of the kids seek out has them using the weighted donuts on bats when warming up.

I appreciate your opinions.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
If the kid has good mechanics I don't think a few ounces up or down make much difference. It may help them out mentally, just feeling faster with their game bat. I wouldn't let any girls that don't already have a nice swing do it though.

The time for donuts and heavy bats is off season. Heavy being 6 or more ounces. My dd hits with a 30 ounce bat off aeason in an overweight, underweight, and regular weight program. Her game bats are 22 and 23 ounce. As we get close to the season we progressively remove the heavy weight bat and change the plan from strength (strong but slow swing) to batspeed using regular and underweight bats.

The theory is using heavier bats will make the muscles strong, but slower. I don't think the few ounces that you are doing will make much difference though.

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
One of the local batting instructors that many of the kids seek out has them using the weighted donuts on bats when warming up.

There are many studies that disagree with this. First problem you are putting the weight toward the end of the bat. FFS and I disagree somewhat on heavier bats, but I think we both agree not to use weighted donuts. I do use a wooden bat with some drills that is heavier than a normal bat to get them to understand the swing. The studies on donuts points out you have slower bat speed after using on on deck.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Additional weight can sometimes help a hitter learn to tap into more ideal swing mechanics.

The use of a heavier bat can be one of the quicker ways to teach a kid to rely on stretch-and-fire mechanics.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
My dd and her team all have wood bats to train with. My dd has hit with wood since she was 12.

Apr 9, 2012
In regards to offseason workouts we utilize underload(light and fast) and overload(heavy and slow) techniques to build fast twitch and slow muscles.

During the season adding an ounce or two is fine but more is meant for offseason workouts.

Jun 15, 2011
One of the local batting instructors that many of the kids seek out has them using the weighted donuts on bats when warming up.

There are many studies that disagree with this. First problem you are putting the weight toward the end of the bat. FFS and I disagree somewhat on heavier bats, but I think we both agree not to use weighted donuts. I do use a wooden bat with some drills that is heavier than a normal bat to get them to understand the swing. The studies on donuts points out you have slower bat speed after using on on deck.

Can that study be found on line?

Additional weight can sometimes help a hitter learn to tap into more ideal swing mechanics.

The use of a heavier bat can be one of the quicker ways to teach a kid to rely on stretch-and-fire mechanics.

My DD's hitting coach makes her hit with what is affectionately called "The Log." Heavy wooden bat, but it makes her become more aware of what she is doing with her hands because she cannot control that bat without proper mechanics. It has been a great tool in addition to making her a little stronger.

She would like to warm up with one pre-game, but it kind of jacks up her timing because swing her bat is like a toothpick so we've avoided that.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Gtrhbr ... SBF is correct that swinging a weighted bat can negatively impact your swing speed ... however, that negative effect is only temporary .... if you perform two normal dry swings with your normal bat, after swinging a weighted bat, then you'll pretty much be back up to normal speed.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rosie