Up against a wall

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 17, 2014
Middle America
So I've heard nothing but negativity about the local hs coach we will have to deal with in two years. I'm picking up DD today from ms track practice and this is going on. Whole team outside in a cold rain fake swinging against a wall. All their equipment getting rained on, girls soaked, you name it. Now I've seen this drill done where the batter faces the wall an swings to stay compact but never this. We live in a rural small town and there's not many options for HS ball but I don't think I can deal with this. Right now there's one travel kid on the team from dd's org and we hear all about it. Dd's class will have 5 really talented travel kids that I hate to see go into neutral for 4 years. Anybody see this before?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 151
Mar 21, 2013
Bobby Valentine is coaching HS ball now? Looks like a coach who can regularly snatch defeat out of the jaws of victory.

Aug 1, 2008
ohio
So I've heard nothing but negativity about the local hs coach we will have to deal with in two years. I'm picking up DD today from ms track practice and this is going on. Whole team outside in a cold rain fake swinging against a wall. All their equipment getting rained on, girls soaked, you name it. Now I've seen this drill done where the batter faces the wall an swings to stay compact but never this. We live in a rural small town and there's not many options for HS ball but I don't think I can deal with this. Right now there's one travel kid on the team from dd's org and we hear all about it. Dd's class will have 5 really talented travel kids that I hate to see go into neutral for 4 years. Anybody see this before?

What was the drill?.... $200-300 dollar bat with the chance to hit a brick wall?

SL

Jan 17, 2014
Middle America
What was the drill?.... $200-300 dollar bat with the chance to hit a brick wall?

SL

I have no idea. Keep 20 kids busy until they catch pneumonia? I dread the thought of dd playing for her HS team if this chick is the coach. Do I approach the AD as time gets closer ? Are official HS stats that important for recruiting?

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
I have no idea. Keep 20 kids busy until they catch pneumonia? I dread the thought of dd playing for her HS team if this chick is the coach. Do I approach the AD as time gets closer ?

Was your DD practicing track outside?

Feb 7, 2013
I wouldn't sweat it. Most kids have a great time with HS sports even if being "coached" by incompetent adults. For example, my senior year in HS, I played Varsity soccer with a bunch of talented club players but our head coach was a gym teacher that didn't know the difference between a throw in and throw up. We did all kinds of crazy, useless drills in practice, we goofed around every practice and the coach punished us by making us run numerous laps around a big oak tree near the track field. However, once the actual league games started, the team was all business. We ended up going undefeated that season 19-0-1 (one tie) and won the West Coast section. Sometimes kids excel in sports in spite of the coaches, not because of them.

Jan 17, 2014
Middle America
No. Both gyms were occupied at the time. But there are options at other buildings. Practice later, communicate, classroom, Pat Summit mental imagery ( which works but that's another topic)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd