Unethical?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 19, 2013
Last night during my final game of the year I had some serious issues with the opposing coach. 2 separate times when my girls started hitting the ball the other coach calls time and pulls her ENTIRE team in to talk to them. Take in mind this is a timed game, and there is no score keeping for this league. Then after a play she walks off the field (during machine pitch) to talk to a parent and my DD stepped out of the circle to discuss the next play with her SS and 3B and they sent the runners home. I was livid. The ump had called time but didnt send the runners back. Then she has the nerve to heckle my DD who is pitching, to distract her. Then to top it off complains to the ump because my girls were being too loud and were "distracting" her pitcher...Was I wrong for complaining. I thought you are suppose to teach sportsmanship to your players not teach them to be cocky and just all around unprofessional.

Stop worrying about what the other coach is doing and just let your girls play ball and not be distracted by what the other coach is or is not doing, this won't be the only coach you think is being stupid just teach your girls the basics the best you can, assuming 8U since you said machine pitch.

Mar 11, 2013
Jackson, MS
That's why there's a commissioner. Explain everything that happened and move past it. It was the last game but coaches will gain reputations, either good or bad.

We try our best to be sure all our coaches are on the same page. In the younger ages, when you haven't seen them coach before, it's difficult. Being coach and commissioner I have only had to pull the commissioner card once. And that was because the coach was arguing with the teenage umpire about a rule. When I attempted to explain that the ump was correct, the coach (an ast coach that didn't attend the draft) did not know I was commish and began to argue with me

At home plate on a teeny tiny field where the stands are about 12ft away, stands are full and everyone could hear. The umpire was doing fine but the coach just wouldn't let up. So when the coach tries to tell me the ump was wrong my comment was basically this. (we have a 4 run per inning rule). Your team has numerically won the game, there's no way for us to come back. This call (it was about foul balls at the plate since we play with no catcher) was inconsequential, even if the game was close. We've wasted 5 minutes my kids could have been hitting. We do not argue with the umpires, even if they are wrong. This is first and second grade coach pitch softball, not the final game of the world series. As I'm saying this, I'm becoming more agitated because he kept wanting to argue, trying to interupt with "but" I ended with, and I'm the commissioner, personaly wrote the rules, personaly discussed the rules with the coaches that attended the draft and with the umpires and those same rules state that she can ask me to eject you from the game for arguing.

I saw the light bulb go off. He shook my hand, apologized to the ump and at a later game said he just got caught up in the moment, was used to coaching his son's baseball where it's like the coaches argue everything no matter the call.

You kinda develop a certain culture in each league

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
I am always amazed when I hear these stories and find out they're occurring in 10U, 8U or even younger ball. Coaches at those levels have to remember that Arizona/UCLA/Alabama/Oklahoma etc. aren't watching their games looking for their next coach.

Let the kids learn and have fun. Plenty of time to worry about winning later.

Feb 19, 2012
West US
Tally you're right, extremely poor behavior from an adult, coach, role model etc. good lesson for you and DD, there will always be a jackhole, you can only control how you respond.

A letter to the league detailing the events may deter that coach from being allowed to return.

Coach-n-Dad

Crazy Daddy
Oct 31, 2008
There are coaches like this at every level. As the kids get older and play at higher levels most of them have either quit coaching or they have learned some etiquette.

When I coached Little League at 10U Minors and 12U Majors there were a couple of coaches that acted just like you describe. I explained as best I could to the team that no matter how the other team is acting, they were out there to play softball and try to win the game by being the best players.

Apr 19, 2013
Thanks for all the input. FYI this is a 12U league...lol. Yes using a machine is so stupid but it is what it is. I think she is just worried because she found out that I am starting my own travel team...lol. I hope everyone has a safe holiday.

Apr 19, 2013
I am always amazed when I hear these stories and find out they're occurring in 10U, 8U or even younger ball. Coaches at those levels have to remember that Arizona/UCLA/Alabama/Oklahoma etc. aren't watching their games looking for their next coach.

Let the kids learn and have fun. Plenty of time to worry about winning later.

I wasn't concerned about the loss (even tho it sucked we did) but just how the game was played. I have since talked to all the park heads and there will be a meeting set up before next season.

Dec 20, 2012
That's why there's a commissioner. Explain everything that happened and move past it. It was the last game but coaches will gain reputations, either good or bad.

We try our best to be sure all our coaches are on the same page. In the younger ages, when you haven't seen them coach before, it's difficult. Being coach and commissioner I have only had to pull the commissioner card once. And that was because the coach was arguing with the teenage umpire about a rule. When I attempted to explain that the ump was correct, the coach (an ast coach that didn't attend the draft) did not know I was commish and began to argue with me

At home plate on a teeny tiny field where the stands are about 12ft away, stands are full and everyone could hear. The umpire was doing fine but the coach just wouldn't let up. So when the coach tries to tell me the ump was wrong my comment was basically this. (we have a 4 run per inning rule). Your team has numerically won the game, there's no way for us to come back. This call (it was about foul balls at the plate since we play with no catcher) was inconsequential, even if the game was close. We've wasted 5 minutes my kids could have been hitting. We do not argue with the umpires, even if they are wrong. This is first and second grade coach pitch softball, not the final game of the world series. As I'm saying this, I'm becoming more agitated because he kept wanting to argue, trying to interupt with "but" I ended with, and I'm the commissioner, personaly wrote the rules, personaly discussed the rules with the coaches that attended the draft and with the umpires and those same rules state that she can ask me to eject you from the game for arguing.

I saw the light bulb go off. He shook my hand, apologized to the ump and at a later game said he just got caught up in the moment, was used to coaching his son's baseball where it's like the coaches argue everything no matter the call.

You kinda develop a certain culture in each league

Probably not the best way to handle the situation. You could let them know that there is a parking lot and the issue can be discussed there after the game.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaci’s biggest fan