Umps calling strikes

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 5, 2013
(This might not be the appropriate forum, so moderators, feel free to move it if necessary. I just see a lot of umps in here)

I've been watching a lot more college games this year and have noticed a trend that has made it's way into travel ball locally. I'm trying to figure out if this is what umps are being instructed to do or not.

Can the umps in here give the reasoning behind a verbal called strike ... followed by up to several seconds ... before they indicate the strike physically? Maybe I'm old school, but it drives me CRAZY. Both at games and watching them on TV, we have to deal with the crowd cheering and teams doing ridiculous chants at 120 decibels.

To have to wait for the physical indication of a strike just seems silly, but perhaps I just need some education from those that actual ump.

Apr 4, 2015
As an umpire we are being trained to have a cadence in the way we make our calls. When the pitch is delivered we are down in a set position, from here we make the verbal call. Then after we make the verbal we stand up but do not move from our position and make the physical if needed. After the the physical call has been made we step out and relax. This delivers a more professional, clean and crisp appearance.

Jun 22, 2008
While I agree the proper mechanic is to make the verbal call in the down position and then stand before making the hammer, some umpires do seem to delay a considerable amount of time before giving the signal. Sometimes the ball has long since been returned the to circle before the sign is given.

Mar 21, 2013
Many of the Umpire orgs in So Cal teach this same mechanic to there ASA umpires. Their main goal is uniformity in both the call and the look of the call. I do notice some umpires do take longer with the look of the call i.e. the physical strike signal, and I think that is a personal preference with some umps making it their own if you get what I mean. For what it's worth I don't like the excessively delayed physical strike signal either.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
While I agree the proper mechanic is to make the verbal call in the down position and then stand before making the hammer, some umpires do seem to delay a considerable amount of time before giving the signal. Sometimes the ball has long since been returned the to circle before the sign is given.

Some umpires seem to want everybody's attention to remain on them longer than others.

Feb 5, 2013
Some umpires seem to want everybody's attention to remain on them longer than others.

I agree that this plays into it more than it should.

Uniformity of calls is fine. I think that's a solid goal, as is having a professional "crisp" appearance. Just don't do it at the expensive of the fans' and coaches' ability to follow the game.

Mar 2, 2013

No umpire delays a visual signal so that they can keep everybody's attention on them longer. That's completely absurd. Then again, you seem to have never come across a good-willed, quality umpire in your lifetime.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
No umpire delays a visual signal so that they can keep everybody's attention on them longer. That's completely absurd. Then again, you seem to have never come across a good-willed, quality umpire in your lifetime.

I've caught in front of, worked with and watched plenty, which makes it easy to recognize the poor ones, the lazy ones, the incompetent ones, and the ones that think everyone is there to see them work.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida

I umpired basketball for 20 years and I know several umpires in that sport that love the attention being on them and would make calls bigger and more 'large' than necessary. Didn't mean they weren't good calls or in most cases good umpires, but it was clearly an ego trip/power trip for them. It is a fine line between confidence and arrogance.

Earl Strom was probably the best example of an umpire who was all about 'look at me' while being one of the best to ever officiate basketball.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
I agree that this plays into it more than it should.

Uniformity of calls is fine. I think that's a solid goal, as is having a professional "crisp" appearance. Just don't do it at the expensive of the fans' and coaches' ability to follow the game.

Remember the purpose of the signal. It is to inform those not in the immediate area of the call. It has nothing to do with the call itself or the timing of the players.

AFA following the game, what is it that you cannot follow?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MMMichigan1