The Decline of Umpiring

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 25, 2019
And I agree that is an issue. Unfortunately it won’t be tournament directors. They need the umpires for their events. There needs to be training involved, but there are so many games, and not enough umpires to go around, so training went out the door for umpires, except for the ones who really want to become respected umpires. With the current situation, there are too many umpires that just want to make money. Just like the TD or organizations that don’t want to spend the money for training of the umpires.
I run an umpire associations, and if I try and run an umpire clinic, and just charge $5.00 per umpire, I might get 5 umpires to attend, out of the 80 members in the association. And 3 of those 5 are only there because I assign high school games, and they think if they attend they will get games. I can’t get them to understand……..if you want games, GET BETTER!!!
Well, $5 is nothing, but why do you have to charge at all? Your Organization should pay you to teach a clinic. As an umpire, i 'm tired of being nickled and dimed. I pay $200 for travel league, plus 10% of every game to assignor, and school is $100 for the season. We talk about respecting umpires from parents and coaches, but I've found in the three short years of umpiring the biggest lack of respect is from the organization's that hire us. School is not bad, it's only one game a day, but TB tourney s around here are the worse. No place to change, no parking, no food voucher, not even a bottle of water on a hot summer day. And half the time the checks are delayed coming, but if you work a cash game, be sure to send that 10% to assignor, cause he gonna be on you for that.

With all this said, I'd still pay the $5, because I want to be the best i can be. but then again the TB org doesn't run clinics.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Service industry.
Not club med.

If umpires were in a union what would that be like?
Monthly dues to a union.
With a union to represent issues.
Would still need
a middle-man assigning jobs assignments.

Who represents umpires now?

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Little reality check from a blue collar worker...
just got to say it.
Sorry if I'm not weeping and crying for the severity of issues that umpires have to deal with at their job.
Perhaps it's because I've had jobs like
State Park maintenance...
On graveyard shift where i was cleaning the beach. Driving a tractor that had a attachment on it to pick up trash cans,
that would then be lifted over the tractor,
as trash juice would dribble and splash all over the place as it was dumped into a dumpster the tractor was carrying on the back side.
Hmmm yelling people while i have authority over shutting the game down.
Sounds much better
than the stench of trash dripping and splashing.
We had no-where to change our clothes either....except our car.

Btw
Athletes on the field have to learn to tolerate and exclude hearing chiming also.

Coaches have to deal with parent junk also
And most for no pay!

Again I am not saying berrating umpires is okay. But I will say again tough job situations are not exclusive to umpires.

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2021
I bet umpires get feed up with you real quick coach……..LOL
You are the type of umpire that needs to quit and find something else to do in your spare time. It has obviously taken a toll on you. For the worse. And that's just an observation based on your posts, not a critique. It seems as if you have very little patience with anyone that doesn't conform to your line of thinking or doesn't share your opinion, though I could be misreading things. Throwing someone out of the park for calling me stupid one time is something I could never dream about doing. I just can't grasp being that much of an of authoritarian. I would simply laugh it off instead of taking it personally. Sticks and stones......

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2021
there are too many umpires that just want to make money.
THANK YOU for admitting that, unlike previous posters in this thread that have tried to say that all umps do it for reasons other than money. Which is downright laughable.

Thank you for your honesty.

Aug 25, 2019
THANK YOU for admitting that, unlike previous posters in this thread that have tried to say that all umps do it for reasons other than money. Which is downright laughable.

Thank you for your honesty.
Huh, you think all umpires do it for money only? That’s what’s laughable. I do it to give back to the game and because I enjoy it, it’s definitely not for the money.
Although I will say I wouldn’t do it for free😜

Aug 25, 2019
Little reality check from a blue collar worker...
just got to say it.
Sorry if I'm not weeping and crying for the severity of issues that umpires have to deal with at their job.
Perhaps it's because I've had jobs like
State Park maintenance...
On graveyard shift where i was cleaning the beach. Driving a tractor that had a attachment on it to pick up trash cans,
that would then be lifted over the tractor,
as trash juice would dribble and splash all over the place as it was dumped into a dumpster the tractor was carrying on the back side.
Hmmm yelling people while i have authority over shutting the game down.
Sounds much better
than the stench of trash dripping and splashing.
We had no-where to change our clothes either....except our car.

Btw
Athletes on the field have to learn to tolerate and exclude hearing chiming also.

Coaches have to deal with parent junk also
And most for no pay!

Again I am not saying berrating umpires is okay. But I will say again tough job situations are not exclusive to umpires.
Say Rad, how come you never umpired? Just asking.

Aug 25, 2019
Not all. No way. Never said that. Re read my post.
Huh? You basically said that, that’s it’s downright laughable that umpires do it for reasons other than money. This statement insinuates that they only do it for money.

Jul 19, 2021
Huh? You basically said that, that’s it’s downright laughable that umpires do it for reasons other than money. This statement insinuates that they only do it for money.
Read again. I said previous posters in this thread that have tried to say that all umps do it for reasons other than money. I said THAT is laughable. The idea that ALL UMPIRES DO IT FOR REASONS OTHER THAN MONEY is laughable. As an umpire has mentioned, there are some that do it only for the money.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802