Umps calling strikes above batter's head

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 20, 2023
That is the worst age for pitching. I used to take my daughter to the super bad batting cages nobody bothered to use at the mini golf place- because they do not throw strikes. It was the only thing that simulated the actual pitching at that age in our rec league. She had the opposite problem where only ankle balls were being called strikes. So we worked on hitting ankle balls.

We have not been there in years- maybe for fun I’ll drag her there and see what she can hit 🤣 just for old time sake.

GIMNEPIWO

GIMNEPIWO
Dec 9, 2017
VA
it's a fast pitch game. It's supposed to be basically the same strike zone as NJ high school.

I figured it was a fast pitch game, but if they are consistently calling balls above her head as strikes; maybe no one told the Umpires ... LOL ... It is not inconceivable to think that a pitch with any arc and a girl up in the box, while using the front knee and back shoulder as the limitations, could have balls consistently above her head be called strikes.

Last edited:
May 13, 2023
That is the worst age for pitching. I used to take my daughter to the super bad batting cages nobody bothered to use at the mini golf place- because they do not throw strikes. It was the only thing that simulated the actual pitching at that age in our rec league. She had the opposite problem where only ankle balls were being called strikes. So we worked on hitting ankle balls.
LUV THIS ⬆️

Prepare to be productive!

Jun 8, 2016

We have not been there in years- maybe for fun I’ll drag her there and see what she can hit 🤣 just for old time sake.
This was the main reason we went to TB once daughter started kid pitch. I went and watched rec 10U and figured she might get 5 pitches all year to hit and said nah…

Apr 17, 2019
Wait till you get to hs and it happens, not all the time but my DD is 5’5” and has had strike calls over her head.

Jun 18, 2023
Wait till you get to hs and it happens, not all the time but my DD is 5’5” and has had strike calls over her head.

my kid is 4' 6" finishing third so probably won't be our issue (aggression and actually swinging? we'll see). Apparently the girl is taking lessons (pitching) with the HS coach in town, so at least she'll have someone fighting for her if it comes to that.

yeah, they pretty much call anything that manages to clear the plate a strike, even if it like hits the dirt to the side of the point. Mostly we can hit those though. We literally had a 2 RBI "double" on a golf swing off a bounce in front of the plate yesterday.

We've tried to simulate by having our pitchers throwing to our batters in practice (and coach pitching after a K or BB to keep it moving) but it's been raining like every day for a month so practice time has been tough.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi