Umps calling strikes above batter's head

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 18, 2023
✔️

( at the level of this post , in basic, would say not swinging and doing nothing is the least helpful event)

imo it is good for players to recognize that sometimes the strike zone is going to be different.
Then having to apply making an adjustment to the situation.
Because there will be times that what coaches/players think is not a strike is going to be called a strike.

From that
I would never want a player to strike out looking because they 'themself'
didn't think it was a strike.... especially when already recognizing the Umpire has a Bizarre Strike Zone Area.

This is the crux of this post, why I posted it. She certainly doesn't know what adjustment to make, and neither do I.

It's rough, because we ARE trying to train them to swing, to hit pitches. We're not up there hoping the pitcher throws 15 walks. So it's a tough balance learning when to swing. I'm aware this is a tough skill all the way up to the tippy top levels of baseball/softball. How far forward and back you can be in the box is new to me, so was pondering if there was a way to use that.

They guy never said she didn't have any decent pitches to swing at..

Not in the one AB that prompted this, but she's gotten good pitches and good swings too. (She lined out to the pitcher in her first AB for instance). It's not a huge deal. Maybe I should've posted this in the hitting technical section instead. *shrugs*

Jun 8, 2016
Not in the one AB that prompted this, but she's gotten good pitches and good swings too. (She lined out to the pitcher in her first AB for instance). It's not a huge deal. Maybe I should've posted this in the hitting technical section instead. *shrugs*
@RADcatcher is trying to tie what I said about leaving rec to this. I had my kid go to TB because there were not going to be very many good pitches to hit..it was a walk fest. It had nothing to do with the umpires' strike zone...

If you are in a league where there aren't many good pitches to hit EVER then sure, expanding your strikezone to ridiculous levels may be fine just so the kid is not bored out of her mind.

May 13, 2023
She is trying to tie what I said about leaving rec to this. I had my kid go to TB because there were not going to be very many good pitches to hit..it was a walk fest. It had nothing to do with the umpires' strike zone...apples to oranges.
Understandable you wanted better pitches!

May 13, 2023
I'm responding to the OP post about the level of the situation.

Can understand where @The Man In Blue was commenting about not having umpires or just have fun type of perspective.

With a pitcher that would not be able to throw enough strikes that everybody would be walking there is a dilemma.
For everybody on the field including the Umpire. There are many other posts on the same topic where umpires have expanded their strike zone. Whether people like that or not so be it. It happens.

This is where folks have to decide what they want to get out of the game.
Walk, walk, walk, walk, walk.
Or
Look look look strike 3
Or
Swing at stuff.
🤷‍♀️

Jun 8, 2016
With a pitcher that would not be able to throw enough strikes that everybody would be walking there is a dilemma.
Start your own thread because that wasn't OP's situation. In that particular situation I agree with you (and I said as much above)

May 13, 2023
Start your own thread because that wasn't OP's situation.
😅🤣😂

Clearly commented to the Opie's situation. It was a complaint about umpire Strike Zone blah blah blah

Thankfully can take a conversation to a point where there is useful feedback!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sunny 321commission