Umpire's Call

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 24, 2013
So? I thought that we were discussing the batting rules as a whole, with respect to things a batter may or may not do, not just "attempts to fool the defense".

Okay....a batter comes to the plate, squares up to bunt, then at the last second takes a full swing. Would that be an attempt to "fool the defense"? Do the rules say the batter is allowed to do that? What is the penalty?

(Yes, this is getting more ridiculous by the minute. Maybe if we play "what if" long enough somebody will finally get a ruling they like! :rolleyes: )

No, the batter is allowed to offer at the pitch. Whether it is by bunt, swing, slap they are allowed to offer at the pitch. A fake bunt is allowed and even though it is a play to attempt fool the defense, it is a play that is allowed based on their options in the batters box. The option to run when you do not have a legitimate right to run is not there.

Since you brought up this third-world secenario...you tell us. What rule do you think is being violated and what is the penalty? Please find us a rule that prohibits "confusing the defense". I think that main "rule" that is being broken is the sportsmanship "rule". Teaching kids to do things (that they are not permitted to do by the rule books) in order to confuse the other team, is poor sportsmanship. So you are saying it is ok for a batter to say whatever she wants in order to score a run. What about spectators yelling "Heads UP!" The same thing happens in NASCAR where there is a saying that "It ain't cheating if you don't get caught". Are you advocating for the same type of menatality that "It ain't unsportsmanlike if you don't get called for it?

Well, it's not like it's something I've ever given much thought to. I don't usually spend my time thinking up rulings for plays that will never happen in a zillion years. I suppose I'd handle it like I handle any other time when a batter leaves the batter's box when they're not supposed to.Wait a minute. You mean you actually agree with me and that the batter is not supposed to leave the box and run the bases when they are not "supposed" to? That has been my whole point! The batter was not supposed to leave the box and did so in an attempt to confuse the catcher to make the throw on an out that would not have been legitimate if the tag was made.

Batter: (Trotting down to third) I'm going to pinch run for the girl on third now.

Me: No, you're not. Get back in the box.

Then I'll apply the real rules that are really in the book if the batter further delays the game (10 seconds/penalty strike).

So you would have called this girl back when she took off for 1st also? Because she was not supposed to leave the box either.

Apr 23, 2012
You guys ask for a rule, well here it is:
Interference
Interference is the act of an offensive player or team member that impedes, hinders or confuses a defensive player attempting to execute a play. Interference may in the form of physical contact, verbaldistraction, visual distraction, or any type of distraction that hinders a fielder in the execution of a play. Defensive players must be given the opportunity to field the ball anywhere on the playing field or throw the ball without being hindered. Guys i have interference!!! Batter out runner returned to third.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA