Umpire not calling the game by the rules and no protests

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 15, 2017
What do you call umps hanging in the basement....a whine cellar.

Sooooo, I have yet to see a regular job that covers...any of that extraneous stuff. Talk about asking for the moon.

Just checked the big employers. Counties, Cities, hospitals, food service, car sales, construction, etc. Got to show up to work to get paid, no company car or gas money, lots require degrees & training & CE & Certs & memberships to even apply, got to wear clothes to the office, ETC

Travel ball
75 min/finish inning (Some time the mercy rule ends games really early)
1 ump $90/2+ ump $60ea
NO TAXES

School Basketball
$50 Game/2 Ref
Most jobs that require uniforms must provide them and in most places, pay to clean them. Keep digging.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
What do you call umps hanging in the basement....a whine cellar.

Sooooo, I have yet to see a regular job that covers...any of that extraneous stuff. Talk about asking for the moon.

Just checked the big employers. Counties, Cities, hospitals, food service, car sales, construction, etc. Got to show up to work to get paid, no company car or gas money, lots require degrees & training & CE & Certs & memberships to even apply, got to wear clothes to the office, ETC

Travel ball
75 min/finish inning (Some time the mercy rule ends games really early)
1 ump $90/2+ ump $60ea
NO TAXES

School Basketball
$50 Game/2 Ref

First I pay taxes on most of it. Not that it would matter. If it was my only source of income there is no realistic way I could make enough to get to a taxable income off of just travel and high school. Even if I really went after college and did more games, there is no real way - because then you often have to chose - do I do a college game or do the travel tourney?

When the game finishes early, in most cases I am not able to start the next game early as you are waiting for the team from another field or a team is not there yet. It is still normally 1:30 min on a 75 min game no matter what happens. And for every game that ends early, some team manages to score 10 runs after time expires making it a 2hr game and screwing the schedule up.

Plus if it rains or there are other delays or a bracket game goes into extra innings, or I am not scheduled for all my games in a row (which is how it should be), I am still required to be there. I am expected to be there around an hour before my first game and often time to debrief after. Just because I am not on the field - if I am REQUIRED to be there that is part of umpiring. Same for required meetings, exams, knowledge reviews, etc. There is a lot of hours that goes into being a good umpire.

When you travel for a regular job beyond your commute, then you get expenses or write offs. With umpiring sometimes I do, sometimes I don't. Sometimes I can write it off on taxes - sometimes I can't. I don't include extra costs in my calculations either way.

And again it is NOT a job. You can't get paid 40 hours a week. You can't turn up every day for a full days paid work. And you can't make a living.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
You left off the cash gate fee and when the TD opens up a restaurant and then has his food truck sell at the event.

And viera allows no outside food or drink so you can buy thar 6.00 Gatorade

Capital Tacos is delicious

Viera/Space Coast is absolutely a rip off.

Jul 19, 2021
I was going more towards the OP … and how the umpire wasn’t calling the game “by the rules” when it sounded to me as if the umpire was following proper procedure all the way through.

It BURNS me when a coach sits there and screams (or does nothing) instead of doing his/her job. Twice in the last 6 weeks I have had a coach standing in the dugout throwing a tantrum when all he needed to do was come out and ask my partner if he would get some help (pulled foot at first and a dropped/trapped ball on a force at home). Both times the coach was right and we would have gotten the correct call … but we cannot do his job for him and we cannot just insert ourselves into our partner’s call.
Here's a question. A serious one. Why do you care what someone is doing in the dugout? Do you care if you're walking in the parking lot at Wal Mart and someone is on the next aisle pitching a fit over a shopping cart wheel? Heck no. So why do you care what some coach is doing in the dugout? Why umpires let all of these things bother them is beyond me. It's almost as if they are looking for things to get pissed off about. Like they're on a power trip or something. I see these MLB umps always jawing at guys in the dugout. Why? Are they that power hungry? It's 50 feet away from you. Just ignore it and call the games. It's not that hard to do in the real world, so don't make the field any different.

RJK

Mar 23, 2022
I was going more towards the OP … and how the umpire wasn’t calling the game “by the rules” when it sounded to me as if the umpire was following proper procedure all the way through.

It BURNS me when a coach sits there and screams (or does nothing) instead of doing his/her job. Twice in the last 6 weeks I have had a coach standing in the dugout throwing a tantrum when all he needed to do was come out and ask my partner if he would get some help (pulled foot at first and a dropped/trapped ball on a force at home). Both times the coach was right and we would have gotten the correct call … but we cannot do his job for him and we cannot just insert ourselves into our partner’s call.
The umpire was not following "proper procedure." Batting out of order occured twice, once they bat out of order and the 2nd time they had the wrong number and only first name on the lead off hitter so no way to match it on the last name on the back of her jersey. The other coach came out and had a private conversation that I could hear and he admitted that they batted out of order. The umpire still allowed it. Then with circle violation, he sent the runner back instead of calling her out. Runner remained on third. I went out to the umpire and said "thats a circle violation right?" He said "Yes." And I replied "so then she's out right?" He then goes to the other coach and he explains to the coach that it's a circle violation and decides to send the runner back to second. This is a clear case of the umpire trying to give this rookie coach some slack. Already peeved knowing we weren't going to get the call, I gave up and walked back to the dugout. After the inning ended, I walked up to the ump and politely asked why he didnt call her out. His response was because "you delayed the game with the batting out of order questions and I'm going to call the game however I want to call it." So i said, "I understand, and how im interpreting this is you're going to make up rules as you go." Conversation ended there and I walked away.

This was an All Star tournament, not rec league. There was an entire rec league for warnings and screw ups by the coach. All Stars should be by the book. We had great umps all weekend, but this one guy was terrible.

If umpires don't call the game by the rules, then why doesn't my team bat out of order? Why doesnt my team run the bases with the ball in the circle? Might as well leave the bases early while we're at it. There was no screaming at the umpire.

May 27, 2022
4 hour HS games...lol. Come on man, less hyperbole will make more people listen to the message. If we're going to discuss things, let's be transparent on the facts.

JV/V double header (or V/V DH). Typically start the first game at 5 or 5:30 and finish the last game at 9.

Sorry, I could have been more clear...

Feb 15, 2017
The umpire was not following "proper procedure." Batting out of order occured twice, once they bat out of order and the 2nd time they had the wrong number and only first name on the lead off hitter so no way to match it on the last name on the back of her jersey. The other coach came out and had a private conversation that I could hear and he admitted that they batted out of order. The umpire still allowed it. Then with circle violation, he sent the runner back instead of calling her out. Runner remained on third. I went out to the umpire and said "thats a circle violation right?" He said "Yes." And I replied "so then she's out right?" He then goes to the other coach and he explains to the coach that it's a circle violation and decides to send the runner back to second. This is a clear case of the umpire trying to give this rookie coach some slack. Already peeved knowing we weren't going to get the call, I gave up and walked back to the dugout. After the inning ended, I walked up to the ump and politely asked why he didnt call her out. His response was because "you delayed the game with the batting out of order questions and I'm going to call the game however I want to call it." So i said, "I understand, and how im interpreting this is you're going to make up rules as you go." Conversation ended there and I walked away.

This was an All Star tournament, not rec league. There was an entire rec league for warnings and screw ups by the coach. All Stars should be by the book. We had great umps all weekend, but this one guy was terrible.

If umpires don't call the game by the rules, then why doesn't my team bat out of order? Why doesnt my team run the bases with the ball in the circle? Might as well leave the bases early while we're at it. There was no screaming at the umpire.
You do realize the same umpires that called rec are probably going to call All stars as well?

I'm sure there will be a few girls that put on thier tombstones "Screwed in 10U all stars by evil umpire"

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi