Umpire not calling the game by the rules and no protests

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 27, 2022
Umps are getting plenty of pay. The average now is equaling about $40 hr. There needs to be other types of support and investment.

Youth sports is about $20 billion. Lots of money going around.

"plenty of pay" ;)

USSSA: $50/game / 1.5 hr =$33/Hr
HS: $125/night / 4 hr = $31/Hr
Minus being there 30 minutes before
Minus physically limited to 4 games a day
Minus $500+ initial equip investment
Minus $100+ yearly equip investment
Minus $100 yearly USSSA registration
Minus $100 yearly HS registration
Minus time to training and studying and follow up
Minus travel to and from the park
Minus other opportunities we are missing (IE how much is it worth every time I have to convince my wife to mow the lawn 'cuz I am at a game)

Don't get me wrong - the money is nice to have, but I doubt that anyone in my area (with winter shut down) is making a living at it.

Personally, I don't do it for the money - I do it to support a sport I really enjoy and to pay back for the intrinsic value my daughters got out of it through their careers.

May 29, 2015
I was going more towards the OP … and how the umpire wasn’t calling the game “by the rules” when it sounded to me as if the umpire was following proper procedure all the way through.

It BURNS me when a coach sits there and screams (or does nothing) instead of doing his/her job. Twice in the last 6 weeks I have had a coach standing in the dugout throwing a tantrum when all he needed to do was come out and ask my partner if he would get some help (pulled foot at first and a dropped/trapped ball on a force at home). Both times the coach was right and we would have gotten the correct call … but we cannot do his job for him and we cannot just insert ourselves into our partner’s call.

inumpire

Observer, but has an opinion
Oct 31, 2014
Umps are getting plenty of pay. The average now is equaling about $40 hr. There needs to be other types of support and investment.

Youth sports is about $20 billion. Lots of money going around.
You are correct, it probably is a $20 billion dollar sport. But the umpires aren’t making it. Sure they make $500 Or $600 on a real good weekend. But we have expenses and we are away from family. So what is that worth?
The ones making the money are the tournament directors, the state directors and all the staff on the ABC national organizations…….have you been to the USSSA space coast complex? Who you think paid for that? The umpires? No, the parent and coaches paid for it, by playing in their C level worlds series that are held in 45 of the 50 states, and they give out $1.79 plastic rings…..charge $800.00. I could go on, but I won’t. Most will get the point. The rest will keep paying the $800 and complain about the umpires, because their SS who is probably their daughter who made 5 errors. And that was the umpires fault. So for every umpire who don’t know all the rules, there are 10 coaches who don’t have the first clue about how to coach or how to play the game. They are just chasing that $1.79 ring, and complain about umpires. I will step down from my soapbox now. Enjoy your day.

Feb 15, 2017
You are correct, it probably is a $20 billion dollar sport. But the umpires aren’t making it. Sure they make $500 Or $600 on a real good weekend. But we have expenses and we are away from family. So what is that worth?
The ones making the money are the tournament directors, the state directors and all the staff on the ABC national organizations…….have you been to the USSSA space coast complex? Who you think paid for that? The umpires? No, the parent and coaches paid for it, by playing in their C level worlds series that are held in 45 of the 50 states, and they give out $1.79 plastic rings…..charge $800.00. I could go on, but I won’t. Most will get the point. The rest will keep paying the $800 and complain about the umpires, because their SS who is probably their daughter who made 5 errors. And that was the umpires fault. So for every umpire who don’t know all the rules, there are 10 coaches who don’t have the first clue about how to coach or how to play the game. They are just chasing that $1.79 ring, and complain about umpires. I will step down from my soapbox now. Enjoy your day.
You left off the cash gate fee and when the TD opens up a restaurant and then has his food truck sell at the event.

And viera allows no outside food or drink so you can buy thar 6.00 Gatorade

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Jul 27, 2021
"plenty of pay" ;)

USSSA: $50/game / 1.5 hr =$33/Hr
HS: $125/night / 4 hr = $31/Hr
Minus being there 30 minutes before
Minus physically limited to 4 games a day
Minus $500+ initial equip investment
Minus $100+ yearly equip investment
Minus $100 yearly USSSA registration
Minus $100 yearly HS registration
Minus time to training and studying and follow up
Minus travel to and from the park
Minus other opportunities we are missing (IE how much is it worth every time I have to convince my wife to mow the lawn 'cuz I am at a game)

Don't get me wrong - the money is nice to have, but I doubt that anyone in my area (with winter shut down) is making a living at it.

Personally, I don't do it for the money - I do it to support a sport I really enjoy and to pay back for the intrinsic value my daughters got out of it through their careers.
What do you call umps hanging in the basement....a whine cellar.

Sooooo, I have yet to see a regular job that covers...any of that extraneous stuff. Talk about asking for the moon.

Just checked the big employers. Counties, Cities, hospitals, food service, car sales, construction, etc. Got to show up to work to get paid, no company car or gas money, lots require degrees & training & CE & Certs & memberships to even apply, got to wear clothes to the office, ETC

Travel ball
75 min/finish inning (Some time the mercy rule ends games really early)
1 ump $90/2+ ump $60ea
NO TAXES

School Basketball
$50 Game/2 Ref

Feb 15, 2017
What do you call umps hanging in the basement....a whine cellar.

Sooooo, I have yet to see a regular job that covers...any of that extraneous stuff. Talk about asking for the moon.

Just checked the big employers. Counties, Cities, hospitals, food service, car sales, construction, etc. Got to show up to work to get paid, no company car or gas money, lots require degrees & training & CE & Certs & memberships to even apply, got to wear clothes to the office, ETC

Travel ball
75 min/finish inning (Some time the mercy rule ends games really early)
1 ump $90/2+ ump $60ea
NO TAXES

School Basketball
$50 Game/2 Ref
Once again if it's so lucrative why are you behind the dish. And there's taxes. Every org I work for sends you a 1099 every year.

Don't smoke and message.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802