Ugliest Power 5 DI Softball in Years!?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 1, 2021
For some reason I can get the D1 HR for teams.

Here is a link for D2 HR's by team.
https://www.ncaa.com/stats/softball/d2/current/team/1228
Link for D3 Team HR's
https://www.ncaa.com/stats/softball/d3/current/team/1228
George Fox wow! I was surprised that they didn't get an At large bid for the Regionals.

I can only speak to D2 #5 on the list UIndy, but their field is tiny. Its like 170-180 at the lines and 190 in CF. I also know they can't go back further. Its already mashed into a street corner. My guess is the D2 outlier Valdosta St also has a short field. Thats a crap ton of HRs.

Jun 8, 2016
For some reason I can get the D1 HR for teams.

Here is a link for D2 HR's by team.
https://www.ncaa.com/stats/softball/d2/current/team/1228
Link for D3 Team HR's
https://www.ncaa.com/stats/softball/d3/current/team/1228
George Fox wow! I was surprised that they didn't get an At large bid for the Regionals.

Like I said in Post #45, the average HR per game for D1 has not really changed much in the last 10 years (not including this year..not sure what that will look like)

Here are the top D1 HR/game numbers for the last 10 years (including this year and excluding last year)

2020-2021 2.77 (2nd place is 1.98)
2018-2019 1.83

So for the most part that hasn't change much either...OU this year is an outlier. My argument for moving the fences back was more qualitative then quantatitive..it just seems that many HR (and yes this is P5 biased) are not all that well struck and I would like pitchers to be rewarded for inducing non-barrels.. 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2015
New England

Like I said in Post #45, the average HR per game for D1 has not really changed much in the last 10 years (not including this year..not sure what that will look like)

Here are the top D1 HR/game numbers for the last 10 years (including this year and excluding last year)

2020-2021 2.77 (2nd place is 1.98)
2018-2019 1.83

So for the most part that hasn't change much either...OU this year is an outlier. My argument for moving the fences back was more qualitative then quantatitive..it just seems that many HR (and yes this is P5 biased) are not all that well struck and I would like pitchers to be rewarded for inducing non-barrels.. 🤷‍♂️

My argument is the same. With fences deeper, there still will be a good number of home runs, but they will be more well-struck, and you'd also see line drives in the gap, and line drives in general, get rewarded more because of more space in the outfield. More line-drive singles, doubles, triples.

On another subject, on your NCAA stats chart, I find that the number of home runs/game has doubled since 2001. (The doubling happened between 2001 and around 2007 and has been constant since around 2010, as you noted.)

Now, Arizona hit 158 homers in 2001. Given the national average at the time (0.3 HR per game vs. 0.6+ today), that's more impressive than what Oklahoma is doing, especially since OU hasn't to this point played a schedule anywhere near what '01 Arizona did. And that Arizona team had a pitcher named Jennie Finch. So I'm not ready to call OU the best team ever, not by a long shot, until and unless they rip through the playoffs. And I'll note that 2013 OU didn't lose a game in the NCAA tournament, going 10-0. So this 'best ever' talk is way premature, IMHO.

Jun 8, 2016
So this 'best ever' talk is way premature, IMHO.
I agree and I don't see many people saying that tbh. They won't win the WCWS if Juarez doesn't find another gear, which after her surgery, I don't know if she has anymore. Heck I would have a hard time picking them against UW in the Super Regional if they have to face Plain every game..to me it is close to a push.

Apr 26, 2019
Auburn under Dean is rebuilding and one of the youngest teams in the NCAA. Something tells me they will be more than fine. Lol
It's Auburn. They will never be "fine." I may be biased though. 🐘

As an aside, was at DD's tournament last weekend. A dad for one of of teams there was dressed head to toe Auburn. And I mean head to toe, cap, t-shirt, shorts and yes socks. Come on man, you're 40 years old not 8 years old. No. I don't arbitrarily judge people. 😊

Feb 1, 2021
It's Auburn. They will never be "fine." I may be biased though. 🐘

As an aside, was at DD's tournament last weekend. A dad for one of of teams there was dressed head to toe Auburn. And I mean head to toe, cap, t-shirt, shorts and yes socks. Come on man, you're 40 years old not 8 years old. No. I don't arbitrarily judge people. 😊

Since we definitely ARE NOT arbitrarily judging people,... I ventured back thru Alabama once after vacationing in Florida. It was Iron Bowl weekend. 80% of every car or truck I passed had some type of indicator who they supported and most of those had a big mobile meat smoking trailer being pulled behind it. Does this describe you at all? :ROFLMAO:

I also work in Kentucky, where good basketball coaches are literally God, and bad ones can never even look at the state of Kentucky on the map again if they care at all for their own safety. I once taped a piece of paper on my office door during bball season that said "Go away. I'm from Indiana". Sure that meant they thought I was an idiot, but it saved me soooooooo many useless hours talking about UK basketball, it was a very worthy compromise.

Apr 26, 2019
Since we definitely ARE NOT arbitrarily judging people,... I ventured back thru Alabama once after vacationing in Florida. It was Iron Bowl weekend. 80% of every car or truck I passed had some type of indicator who they supported and most of those had a big mobile meat smoking trailer being pulled behind it. Does this describe you at all? :ROFLMAO:

I also work in Kentucky, where good basketball coaches are literally God, and bad ones can never even look at the state of Kentucky on the map again if they care at all for their own safety. I once taped a piece of paper on my office door during bball season that said "Go away. I'm from Indiana". Sure that meant they thought I was an idiot, but it saved me soooooooo many useless hours talking about UK basketball, it was a very worthy compromise.

Lol, no. But I know what you are talking about.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
Sounds like every fan in the SEC. They have to wear at least 2 pieces of team flair. If not 2, then more is better. This is just my casual obeservation.

Jun 8, 2016
Sounds like every fan in the SEC. They have to wear at least 2 pieces of team flair. If not 2, then more is better. This is just my casual obeservation.
OU football fans are the same..I don't think this is a purely SEC thing...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Momma2ma