Ugliest Power 5 DI Softball in Years!?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 26, 2019
Looming at the stats that were posted is pretty convincing. One thingbthat may be a factor is video and scouting being better with more technology. Once you get to that level a better idea what the pitchers are doing and what the pitches will look like could be tipping the scales in favor of the hitter

Jun 23, 2018
Texas
Mixed feelings because DD (12U so take my opinion for what it is) pitches and hits for power. It depends on what you want to do. Want less HR's then push fences back, but that still aids hitters cause now you have more area for OF's to cover. Makes game exciting, but doesn't help the defense.

DD and I have been watching lots of SEC and B12 ball the last 2 months and the strike zone seems really small. Corners can be really hard to come by some games and the supposed emphasis on calling low strikes doesn't seem like it took hold. In some games it feels like hitters are just sitting on one pitch that the pitcher will have to throw to get a call. I would rather see them give the pitchers more of a chance by opening the strike zone 1st before making rule changes. Just my opinion.

Feb 15, 2017
What has been surprising to me is the lack of outfield throwing ability. Seen a few girls with cannons but a lot with no arm strength and the inability to make an accurate throw. Granted moat of what I have watched is SEC and some Big 12, and a few Pac 12.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
@RADcatcher

Great post. My question: When they moved the rubber back 3’ it changed hitting.

Why doesn’t almost every youth player set up at the back of the box?

I‘m familiar with the common arguments for being at the front of the box but after all these years of watching softball, I don’t think I buy them anymore!
This is a great discussion point!!!
Can speak for myself as a hitter...that also comes from my catchers eye experience...and knowing how differently umpires call pitches.
*plus*Pitches start in the zone and move out of the zone.

I stand in the front of the box with my back foot in front of the plate.
Want to cut off the pitch as soon as possible.
( just like framing around edges of zone)
= Less distance for more pitch movement.

As for reaction time swinging and length of swing.
Those are variables individuals need to balance out.

My swing mechanics are short and explosive.
(compaired to long type mechanics)

I also attack anything and everything type hitter
(not ultra selective, pick and sort through the count)
Again these are variables individuals need to consider.

Teaching hitting.
Have hitters stand belly button middle of plate.
As they are learning there individual mental and physical timing they may adjust slightly up or back. But usually by only a couple inches.

Like to read others comments on this.

20200527_061017-1.jpg

radness

Dec 13, 2019
I have posted against moving the fences back but Candrea saying that is convincing to me. He has been there for the long run and it can’t be argued that he doesn’t have softballs‘ best interest at heart.

I‘m coming around to that argument. In the current game the only thing that matters is the otf hr because it can’t be defended. Players hit lasers that aren’t hits because anything that hits the green is caught or should be.

I saw several hr’s last weekend. TBH, most or all would have been hr’s on the field Candrea described.
Another point about then and now...not all fields had home run fences like these 210's.
Or no fence at all.
Example
Our Long Beach State field
(that we played at off campus Mayfair Park)
Has a fence far away.

Last edited:

radness

Dec 13, 2019
Check out the HB stats in compairison with HR stats...

:) and consider the rule change, dont have to move on inside pitches...taking away inside river and pitch locations...
= free bases
and better pitches to BOOOOM
Its something that changed the game!

Screenshot_2021-05-16-06-06-01-1.png

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
Another point about then and now...not all fields had home run fences like these 210's.
Or no fence at all.
Example
Our Long Beach State field
(that we played at off campus Mayfair Park)
Has a fence far away.
I had a GF in college that played softball for Sam Houston State, which was my first introduction to fastpitch. One year the team played on the city's Slow pitch field with a temporary orange fence they rolled out for game days. Then the next year they played on a make shift intramural field. They added dugouts at that time, and still used the temporary fence. 17 years later I drove by campus and notice a new field. HOLY MOLY!!! They built a beautiful field!!! I was so impressed. You would think the team would be so much better being located only an 1 from Houston. They have players falling over themselves to play there, but recruiting has not been very good over the years.

The Southland Conference Softball was a thing before the SEC even thought about have any softball teams.

Btw, y'all do know my Bearkats football team are the National Champs!!! Just sayin'.

https://gobearkats.com/facilities/bearkat-softball-complex/21

Feb 1, 2021
You guys probably need to watch something other than top of the top P5 softball. Outside of that talent concentrated view, girls with 10 season HRs isn't common at all even with the harder NCAA ball.

And as a Dad that sees the fast girls barely make contact and still bat .600, while my DD is a classic, stand in the box hitter that will never beat out a hard hit infield grounder, 220 which is the norm most places, is far enough. Running fast is a natural skill. Hitting balls far in the air off of someone trying to make you miss is not. I'd rather see HRs, then bloop 'duck farts' over the second baseman for a triple.

Aug 25, 2019
This is a great discussion point!!!
Can speak for myself as a hitter...that also comes from my catchers eye experience...and knowing how differently umpires call pitches.
*plus*Pitches start in the zone and move out of the zone.

I stand in the front of the box with my back foot in front of the plate.
Want to cut off the pitch as soon as possible.
( just like framing around edges of zone)
= Less distance for more pitch movement.

As for reaction time swinging and length of swing.
Those are variables individuals need to balance out.

My swing mechanics are short and explosive.
(compaired to long type mechanics)

I also attack anything and everything type hitter
(not ultra selective, pick and sort through the count)
Again these are variables individuals need to consider.

Teaching hitting.
Have hitters stand belly button middle of plate.
As they are learning there individual mental and physical timing they may adjust slightly up or back. But usually by only a couple inches.

Like to read others comments on this.

View attachment 22132
Old School Rad!

Jun 8, 2016
You guys probably need to watch something other than top of the top P5 softball. Outside of that talent concentrated view, girls with 10 season HRs isn't common at all even with the harder NCAA ball.

And as a Dad that sees the fast girls barely make contact and still bat .600, while my DD is a classic, stand in the box hitter that will never beat out a hard hit infield grounder, 220 which is the norm most places, is far enough. Running fast is a natural skill. Hitting balls far in the air off of someone trying to make you miss is not. I'd rather see HRs, then bloop 'duck farts' over the second baseman for a triple.
Congrats on having an unbiased view of the situation. With your argument, since hitting HR doesn't have anything to do with natural ability, then your kid shouldn't have any problem hitting them with further fences...just work harder.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA