Type of Pitch % breakdown in games

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 22, 2019
If you were starting with a 10-U pitcher, how would you ideally progress or introduce pitches to them by age? Once again knowing everyone’s progress and timetable is different
For example: 10 - FB, 11-CU; 11.5- drop; 12 curve; 13 rise.

And the do you go to new coaches that specialize in certain pitches, like drop and rise.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
If you were starting with a 10-U pitcher, how would you ideally progress or introduce pitches to them by age? Once again knowing everyone’s progress and timetable is different

And the do you go to new coaches that specialize in certain pitches, like drop and rise.
That looks pretty good general estimate.

Do know youngsters on that same track one year earlier.
Pending effort and such
FB & Change Up first year they start.
Is a good goal.

Apr 28, 2014
Gotta move the ball up and down (preferably both) and change speeds to be effective at high level ball.
Curves and screws that don't break-down in the zone get tattooed. Search college softball homers on YouTube. You'll see dozens hit off of single plane pitches, curve screw fastball.. much less off of drops and rises. Yes it does happen but no where near as often off of flat plane pitches.
DD changed her curve to a drop curve and it's had a definite difference.
Percent of pitches is and should be different for each pitcher based on skill set and where the other team is in the lineup. Example: people were asking about slappers. DD owns em cause she throws changes and rises to them. In the past they would own her as she used to throw them curves or screws. Too easy to square up.

Aug 21, 2008

to do what you suggest or ask, you'd have to hope that the coaches you see for each individual pitch are similar. This discussion usually amuses me because many people don't understand that seeing one coach for mechanics, then another for spin pitches is problematic. Especially if you go to the "local coach" who basically teaches HE elbow mechanics, then as the girl gets older you realize she needs to move the pitches around, but HE Mechanics don't work for pitches so you have to alter your mechanics to do this.

Every week I get an email from someone asking if I'll help their DD with her rise (for example). When I see her, her mechanics won't allow for a rise. She can't even obtain the first step in getting backspin because her mechanics won't allow for it. So the family has a choice to make at that point, do we relearn or do we just go with our HE mechanics "riseball"? But, I flat out say I cannot teach her a rise with her doing what she's doing. Nobody can. Then I demo a pitch and the dad, the girl, her mom, grandma, etc. all are in awe... until I tell them this young lady cannot do that while doing what she's doing now. It's not my rule or my instruction, it's not my mechanics or my anything. It's the way our bodies are designed.

Good luck finding like minded coaches who will just teach the "pitches". LOL

Nov 22, 2019
to do what you suggest or ask, you'd have to hope that the coaches you see for each individual pitch are similar. This discussion usually amuses me because many people don't understand that seeing one coach for mechanics, then another for spin pitches is problematic. Especially if you go to the "local coach" who basically teaches HE elbow mechanics, then as the girl gets older you realize she needs to move the pitches around, but HE Mechanics don't work for pitches so you have to alter your mechanics to do this.

Every week I get an email from someone asking if I'll help their DD with her rise (for example). When I see her, her mechanics won't allow for a rise. She can't even obtain the first step in getting backspin because her mechanics won't allow for it. So the family has a choice to make at that point, do we relearn or do we just go with our HE mechanics "riseball"? But, I flat out say I cannot teach her a rise with her doing what she's doing. Nobody can. Then I demo a pitch and the dad, the girl, her mom, grandma, etc. all are in awe... until I tell them this young lady cannot do that while doing what she's doing now. It's not my rule or my instruction, it's not my mechanics or my anything. It's the way our bodies are designed.

Good luck finding like minded coaches who will just teach the "pitches". LOL

What if the mechanics are IR, but the one coach say was a drop ball pitcher. Could you teach that student a rise?

Or could you teach a Tincher student a rise, even though their mechanics are a bit different than yours?

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2015

I would suggest teaching them proper mechanics and all types of spin from very early in the process. If they are already learning good IR type of mechanics, I'd begin to introduce them to throwing all types of spin while you warm up and play catch. I wouldn't call them pitches, just backspin, topspin, sidespin each way (curve and screw), and some type of change grip and spin. I wish we had done this early on, just to introduce the idea with there being none of the pressure of calling it a "pitch". Keep it fun, but work for her to find the proper release to get the spin she is looking for and the ability to recognize it. I wouldn't put tons of reps into it, but consistently work on all of it so it doesn't feel so foreign when you actually introduce the pitch. If you have a good coach it shouldn't be necessary to go to different coaches for different pitches, but there isn't any reason not to get extra help now and then if you happen to know of someone who is great with a certain pitch.

Aug 21, 2008
What if the mechanics are IR, but the one coach say was a drop ball pitcher. Could you teach that student a rise?

I can't say yes or no. I'd like to think the answer would be yes but, I also think a lot of people who say their teaching "IR" don't know what they're actually teaching. My question would be, why can't that coach teach both rise and drop? I am thinking the predominant amount of "IR" coaches would be rise/drop type instructors vs. screw/curve instructors. I have no data on that, it's just my hunch.

Or could you teach a Tincher student a rise, even though their mechanics are a bit different than yours?

It would greatly depend on which mechanics are different. Are we talking absolutes or styles? If the absolutes aren't there, then nobody could teach that pitcher a rise. A true rise, not something bullet spin or just a 'high fastball'.

Again though, this is assuming you know the difference between absolutes and styles. Many people confuse "mechanics" with various things. What's your definition of "mechanics"? Does that include the wind up? The backswing? Glove arm help in push forward? Direction of foot during drag? So if the absolutes aren't there then the rise isn't going to happen, period. And if the absolutes aren't there, the patients to get it right and work harder and harder isn't there, which leads to many pitchers with a bullet spin rise who think it's "good enough". What can I say? That's one man's opinion.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sarahjackson13