two teams ???

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

gvm

Sep 3, 2010
is it possible to play on two tb teams ? one plays a few local tournaments, and the other plays some local and some out of state tournaments?

Jul 30, 2010
Pennsylvania
is it possible to play on two tb teams ? one plays a few local tournaments, and the other plays some local and some out of state tournaments?

I don't think so. To my knowledge, you can only be on one at a time. We have in the past picked a plyer up to help for a tourney, but she had to be dropped from her original teams roster, she was then readded afterwards. But i beleive you can only do that 1 time..

In the fall i don't think it matters, a lot of tournies are open rosters

Sep 3, 2009
The rules only apply to the same organization (ASA, USSSA, etc), and to my knowledge the rules only state that a player cannot be on the roster for more than one team in a single tournament. So a player can play for multiple teams, but not at the same tournament. This was explained to me by the local ASA director.

My dd played for two teams last year. One team played primarily USSSA, with some ASA tournaments. The other team played ASA only.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
If you live in California, the answer is "NO". If you don't, then read on:

I don't know your level of sophistication, so this may be overkill:

There are many softball organizations that authorize national qualifiers--ASA, NSA, NAFA, USSSA, etc. There are some minor variations in rules between the different organizations.

Second, there are two types of tournaments. One type of tournament is "national qualifier" tournament. The winner of the tournament, and perhaps a few teams other than the winner, qualify for a national tournament somewhere in the US. The other type of tournament is a "non-qualifier". If a tournament is a non-qualifier, the winner gets a trophy and a pat on the back.

A non-qualifier could be referred to as an "ASA tournament"--but all that means is that ASA softball rules apply. (You have to read the fine print sometimes to see if a tournament is or is not a qualifier.)

So, back to your question:

OUTSIDE OF CALIFORNIA:

Generally, if your child appears on the roster for Team A at a qualifier tournament, then she is not eligible to play for Team B at a different qualifier FOR THE SAME SOFTBALL ORGANIZATION. If she played for Team A at an NSA qualifier, she would be eligible to play for Team B at a USSSA qualifier, but not at an NSA qualifier. If a tournament is not a qualifier tournament, it doesn't matter. There is no eligibility issue.

So, if you don't live in California, you need to ask the team managers what tournaments they intend to play, and then see if there is an organizational overlap (e.g., both teams playing in ASA national qualifiers) between the two teams. If so, then you need to decide how to handle that problem.

Last edited:
Our DD played on two teams last season. Her main team traveled and played big tourneys but had alot of off weekends in between and was ASA and Triple Crown. Her other team was strictly USSSA and stayed very local. She's a pitcher and catcher and got to play alot of softball.

Dec 28, 2008
The main reason that teams take breaks is so that their players can perform at 100% when needed. You want to ensure that at some point she gets the rest her body will need to heal up physically (not just talking about injuries I'm talking about stress), give her the down time mentally and let her have some time to experience the social side of who she is. Don't let her burn herself out just because two different coaches will let her do that.

druer.... you are absolutely correct. We play with that all the time and do everything to tone her down as best we can. She is an absolute softball NUT. She pushes SO hard because she saw the college girls play at the ASA stadium two seasons ago and prays at night to be good enough to be able to play there in the WCWS someday. We tell her that she MAY not get there, but she wants to try. We will keep our eyes peeled though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
misscoug