Two Seamers

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
Hi JJ

Even from that angle it looks like it has good west movement. Can she do east as well? How does she throw it? I am looking to have my DDs pick up this pitch so any advice you can offer would be appreciated.

It is soooooo easy. It is literally just throwing an I/R fastball but having the finger tips on the seams of the horse shoe. So the spin is still this

RH_ballrotation.gif

But on the right side you will see a big yellow smooth spot instead of rotating seams (from the catcher's perspective).

There is definitely a "sweet spot" where if it gets to bullety the movement dies and if it is too 12-6 then it also dies. So the yaw is important.

We are working on east as well but she can't get the orientation just right yet. East seems to need to be a 2 seam riseball release to get that smooth side on the other side of the ball.

I know RBs DD throws a wicked RB and an incut 2 seamer, I am wondering if her release on the two seam pitch is more like a riseball or a traditional I/R type fastball.

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Released just like an IR fastball. I finally have some video from a couple weeks ago. Will post when I can get some to cull through it, edit, and convert.

Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
BUMP-

This has become DDs go to, It is getting more consistent and now moves at least a little every time she throws it, just curious if anyone else has tried it recently. I will be trying to capture it on video later today.

yep...tried & true, you can tell by my avatar :cool:

JJ try having your DD put some focus on pinching w/ thumb & pinky as hard as she can....

OTD.gif

Game:

OTD_Game.gif

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Remember that it is all about what finger(s) come off the ball last. You have to tweak the grip and finger pressure until it starts to run.

Feb 7, 2013
Here is the grip Jake uses. You results may vary as it is not one size fits all.

View attachment 9000

Interesting, so I would expect that with this grip and two-seam orientation that the ball will run into a right-handed batter? I will have my DD try this and see if it runs in to RHB (similar to the spin on her 4-seam grip for her screwball)?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish