Two questions about lean

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 9, 2015
West Virginia
Does it have that big of an affect, especially if she looks to still be getting brush?
If so, how do we fix it?

When I say lean, I mean as a right handed pitcher leaning toward third base side, not leaning forward.

Jun 13, 2012
Normally, This type of lean is taught for the screwball, it is accomplished by stepping to the left of the power line to open the hips and allow the hand to come inside of the ball to create the side spin. If they are "falling off" on all other pitches normally they are either stepping too far left at launch and/or they need to firm up their front leg and make sure to drive that back knee forward thus closing the hips to "finish the pitch. You can accomplish this by putting a cone/chair object on the right side of the powerline at landing during practice. If they "fall off" the pitch they will bump the cone.

Sep 29, 2014
I think it would depend on how much lean there was, maybe it's on certain pitches, what does the rest of her posture look like, but as a general rule straighter the better

May 9, 2015
West Virginia
8c3ec98ce85928cab894a3eefce2ef0e.jpg
9068108a6e67fa19d717a3f803f8213e.jpg
2e2140711b57222e616acd5aeedfbce8.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Hard to tell from the angle of the photos, but it looks like she is stepping to the far left side of the rubber as her power line. I think her body lean to the 3B side may be an attempt to compensate. As others have mentioned, this is normal for a screwball, but should not happen on other pitches.

May 9, 2015
West Virginia
I thought the stepping wide was the problem as well. Wonder how much improvement there would be in correcting this. We are in the middle of the season and if it will make a difference we will fix it, if it isn't a huge issue we won't worry about it. Thoughts?

Apr 12, 2015
We are in the middle of the season and if it will make a difference we will fix it, if it isn't a huge issue we won't worry about it. Thoughts?

Depends. Is she struggling with velocity and accuracy right now? If so, I would make the adjustment. If not, I would wait until the season was over.

Correcting the lean to a more correct posture will definitely yield positive results, but often adjustments to mechanics come with a short period of decreased performance as the pitcher learns to adapt. If she isn't struggling or experiencing pain right now, I'd wait until the season is over.

If she basically plays year round travel ball, either wait until a break in the tournament schedule or introduce the change slowly.

From what I can see in the pictures she looks fairly solid. I'd correct the drag foot before worrying about the lean, personally.

Last edited:

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Your DD has to "brush" the her hips with her right arm. We call it "brush interference". Without brush interference, your DD's control will go down the drain.

allow the hand to come inside of the ball to create the side spin.

Proof that any pitcher creates side spin on a screwball doesn't exist.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd