Tubo Slot Gloves Good or Bad?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I couldn't agree more with Howard's post. Lining up the knuckles used to work well when teaching a linear swing, but I take my cues from Candrea and teach the off set knuckles. I had this conversation with him and the developer of Right View Pro, recently.

Hitter

Banned
Dec 6, 2009
I couldn't agree more with Howard's post. Lining up the knuckles used to work well when teaching a linear swing, but I take my cues from Candrea and teach the off set knuckles. I had this conversation with him and the developer of Right View Pro, recently.

Amy I know Coach however Don is a friend of mine and about three years ago we did a video conference where he could telestrate on my laptop from his home.

While he was in Detroit he said they would cut off their tube socks and place them on the top hand position of the bat during BP to facilitate the bat moving in the top hand.

While on the laptop I went out to the garage got a bat and put him on the speaker phone and tried what he was suggesting, except I used Saran wrap verses the sock and achieved the same feeling.

The next thing we discussed was when we lined up the knuckles the bat during connection and at point of contact, the bat felt as if it were rolling downward or I was rolling my wrist.

So I lined up the graphics on the bat and tried it both ways using the offset and what Crystl and I call the hook in the index finger of the top hand and the bat moved in my top hand naturally and I felt like I had control of the bat and the bat moved more easily when transitioning to bat lag from connection.

What also was pointed out by Don was the offset grip still allowed the fingers knuckles to line up at POC however the offset allowed me to control the bat better during the swing itself.

The next question I had for Don was why so much pine tar and he laughed and put up Louis Gonzales. He pointed out many MLB players allow the bat to slide forward during contact out to the end of the fingers of the top hand and feel it helps whip the bat through naturally during the swing however they have problems holding on to the bat so they use more pine tar.

We have found we pick up two to four MPH using the offset grip and the index finger hook and keeping the bat out of the back of the hand.

Crystl gives credit to Leah O'Miica Browning for showing her this, not sure how she spells her name.

Thanks Howard

May 7, 2008
San Rafael, Ca
elbows wide apart (more offset grip) is mechanically advantageous for torquing handle early before/at GO.

elbows closer is necessary for good rear palmup extension for release (lined up grip).

one way to do both (start more then get less offset) is the loose/transition top hand grip which was first recommended by Mankin at batspeed.com.

you can also do this with a more offset grip and then letting the top hand wrist get and stay very dorsiflexed.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR

The knuckle alignment that Howard describes is the knuckle alignment Epstein recommends in his book.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bake12