TTB and Swing Adjustability

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 29, 2013
I still think the biggest difference is terminology.... We focus on much of the same things otherwise.
So let's define the terminology.
TTB = turning the bat by supination of the wrist.
Chopping = radial/ulnar deviation of the wrist.
In the disputed demos, the pros show chopping motion.
The same pros' game swings are TTB.
It's not a difference of FYB or tilt or sequence. The wrist movements are completely different .
Chopping is the A to B, linear path.
TTB is the bat initially moving toward the catcher and continuing on an arc into the path of the ball.
I don't think I've ever seen a chopping swing start with any bat tip but I've seen many TTB with bat tip.

Jul 29, 2013
Then let's define some more terminology.
All batters start with the barrel above the strike zone, so everyone must swing downward to get the barrel into the zone.
Can we agree that down and thru is hitting down on the ball, keeping the barrel above the hands and staying on top of the ball with the intent to hit low trajectory line drives.
Swinging upward starts the same as DNT but the barrel gets below the hands and ball very early on the swing path and rises on its way to the ball. The goal is to make contact with a positive attack angle that produces fly balls.
We could then say that TTB is turning the barrel around the hands early in the swing, whereas Chopping is a delayed wrist action that happens late in the swing.
A Chopping swing involves getting to and maintaining bat lag to stay inside the ball.
TTB doesn't have or require attention to bat lag or staying inside the ball.

Last edited:

2br02b

Trabant swing
Jul 25, 2017
A Chopping swing involves getting to and maintaining bat lag to stay inside the ball.

TTB doesn't have or require attention to bat lag or staying inside the ball.

Neither of those things, as you described them, actually exist in a high level MLB swing. No wonder there is disagreement...

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
For anyone interested... All of the bashing of Rich (Teacherman) has prompted me to follow him on twitter. He has some recent posts concerning Bo Bichette and "staying inside the ball". May be worth your time if you can pull yourself away from this thread... ;) Remember, pros are always right.

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
So let's define the terminology.
TTB = turning the bat by supination of the wrist.
Chopping = radial/ulnar deviation of the wrist.
In the disputed demos, the pros show chopping motion.
The same pros' game swings are TTB.
It's not a difference of FYB or tilt or sequence. The wrist movements are completely different .
Chopping is the A to B, linear path.
TTB is the bat initially moving toward the catcher and continuing on an arc into the path of the ball.
I don't think I've ever seen a chopping swing start with any bat tip but I've seen many TTB with bat tip.

I guess we have multiple definitions of ttb now as well :cool:.

Yes hitters a attempt to maintain radial/ulnar deviation down to and into the ball.

AkbYWxi.gif

2hoQ5IE.gif

UHgkblZ.gif

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jtp1221