TTB and Swing Adjustability

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 2, 2017
So believe the pros, except the ones YOU don't agree with. Martinez and Donaldson directly contradict Pujols and ARod.

The demo that Pujols and ARod is down to and down through. Not down to and up though.

Should it not be down to and up through?

I still stand by what I have said about this subject. I'm sure they do think and perform down to. Just that they do a poor job of presenting it well. So we get into these debates. Because Game swing doesn't match what they are doing. I think if they put it in context of the entire swing when demoing, then there wouldn't be any debate.

Last edited:
May 12, 2016
So believe the pros, except the ones YOU don't agree with. Martinez and Donaldson directly contradict Pujols and ARod.

The demo that Pujols and ARod is down to and down through. Not down to and up though.

Should it not be down to and up through?

Oh that list is much much much larger than Arod and Pujois...and Martinez is not demoing what Donaldson is, so you need to stop referring to him.

In regard to Pujois and ARod and all the other pros who talk about hands to/down to/ on top of/ not losing the barrel(which Donaldson talks about as well)/A-B/short vs loopy etc etc, the big difference between the demo and game swing is getting into a leveraged FYB position, engagement of core muscles, lateral tilt etc. ARod and Pujois do not stand in the box with their hands and body in that position and just move their hands down to... the barrel will turn appropriately and on time as a result of correct upstream actions. These hitters are not focused on TTB. TTB is a by product. I have lots of videos of and pics posted on here frame by frame showing the best hitters in the world initial hand movement down to/to the ball, which includes Donaldson and JD Martinez. Martinez improved his sequence(FYB) as well as lateral tilt to help correct barrel path. He is still down to the ball as per videos posted.

Most pros focus staying on plane as long as possible, JD included. They don’t want to think about catching the ball on the upward path out front, leaves them vulnerable to off speed junk.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
Oh that list is much much much larger than Arod and Pujois...and Martinez is not demoing what Donaldson is, so you need to stop referring to him.

In regard to Pujois and ARod and all the other pros who talk about hands to/down to/ on top of/ not losing the barrel(which Donaldson talks about as well)/A-B/short vs loopy etc etc, the big difference between the demo and game swing is getting into a leveraged FYB position, engagement of core muscles, lateral tilt etc. ARod and Pujois do not stand in the box with their hands and body in that position and just move their hands down to... the barrel will turn appropriately and on time as a result of correct upstream actions. These hitters are not focused on TTB. TTB is a by product. I have lots of videos of and pics posted on here frame by frame showing the best hitters in the world initial hand movement down to/to the ball, which includes Donaldson and JD Martinez. Martinez improved his sequence(FYB) as well as lateral tilt to help correct barrel path. He is still down to the ball as per videos posted.

Most pros focus staying on plane as long as possible, JD included. They don’t want to think about catching the ball on the upward path out front, leaves them vulnerable to off speed junk.

Just an FYI. Bold above is one of the major points of TTB.

May 12, 2016
Just an FYI. Bold above is one of the major points of TTB.
Like I keep saying, it happens in every swing, just not forced action. Actively trying to TTB and the barrel turning as a result are 2 separate things. Pro aren't actively trying to TTB

May 12, 2016
I still stand by what I have said about this subject. I'm sure they do think and perform down to. Just that they do a poor job of presenting it well. So we get into these debates. Because Game swing doesn't match what they are doing. I think if they put it in context of the entire swing when demoing, then there wouldn't be any debate.
I can understand that Clem.. if you expect to see the barrel behave the way in a demo the way it does in a game swing, then yes can be confusing. IMHO, expecting that is not realistic when you have a pro isolating one move without involving any other body part.

It's no different to me then standing tall with a rise ball grip and flicking my wrist to show you how to throw a rise ball... is it going to look the same as it would in a game pitch, no. But the wrist action will be the same, but the larger muscles will impose their will. Just like in a game swing, the hitters hands do go down to.

What confuses some people actually makes things clearer to me. Seeing this portion of the swing demoed at this speed without other forces acting has really opened my eyes to what actually happens with the hands in a swing. When I add it to the big picture, I can easily see this motion.

Oct 2, 2017
I can understand that Clem.. if you expect to see the barrel behave the way in a demo the way it does in a game swing, then yes can be confusing. IMHO, expecting that is not realistic when you have a pro isolating one move without involving any other body part.

It's no different to me then standing tall with a rise ball grip and flicking my wrist to show you how to throw a rise ball... is it going to look the same as it would in a game pitch, no. But the wrist action will be the same, but the larger muscles will impose their will. Just like in a game swing, the hitters hands do go down to.

What confuses some people actually makes things clearer to me. Seeing this portion of the swing demoed at this speed without other forces acting has really opened my eyes to what actually happens with the hands in a swing. When I add it to the big picture, I can easily see this motion.

My issues is not really directed at someone like, the ones on this board, who have some knowledge of the swing. Its really to Dads or Moms, coming on here look to help their DD who maybe between 9-12 etc. just to pick an age who don't know anything. They will be mislead. Let me add not just by "down to", "Pros", but also but TTB.

Nov 16, 2017

I am going to pull a W=w here, pay attention to the path of the knob in the demos that Pujols and ARod do. Forget the barrell. Pay attention to the knob of their game swings. What is different and why do think that is?

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
Like I keep saying, it happens in every swing, just not forced action. Actively trying to TTB and the barrel turning as a result are 2 separate things. Pro aren't actively trying to TTB

Who said it was a forced action? Or are you arguing with the same ghost that TDS is arguing with?

May 12, 2016
My issues is not really directed at someone like, the ones on this board, who have some knowledge of the swing. Its really to Dads or Moms, coming on here look to help their DD who maybe between 9-12 etc. just to pick an age who don't know anything. They will be mislead. Let me add not just by "down to", "Pros", but also but TTB.
I think it's our responsibility to educate ourselves before teaching anything. I know because I've made the mistake. Regardless, my initial thoughts on all of this was not to convince anybody to do anything. Just highlight what the all the pros are saying is real and not feel. I'd rather be confused in the beginning and search for and find the truth, rather then be deceived and think I know the truth.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ceez12