TTB and Swing Adjustability

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 29, 2013
Dont know if this helps the conversation, but I thought this is a fantastic explanation.

Makes sense. He stands on the back leg only but raises the opposite side of his pelvis. Same result if you unweighted the back leg by collapsing it and pushing against a firm front leg. They both achieve rearward spine tilt.
We can all easily see swings in relation to the ground. So this is a good explanation of feel vs real.
It falls short of explaining TTB game swings vs. Chopping wood demo swings.
It all comes down to being able to teach the elite swing without confusing the students. If you had told my dd to swing down, she'd have hit you in the head with the bat a couple of times with the hope to knock some sense into you.

Jul 29, 2013
Swing down? Seems to me like Williams is describing a ABAF type movement.. I can picture is perfectly right now. ABAF with no lateral tilt and 0 posture...., no leverage. He even says there's no hip movement.. wtf, that's not a high level swing. That's what he understands to be "Swinging Down".
Your reading comprehension is awful.
If that's what you pictured you got it all wrong. Please refer to a Ted Williams video of a game swing for the correct understanding of what Ted described.

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2013
Getting really desperate here Bobby, a scanned transcript from a newspaper(wth knows what the source is) and a random Youtube video. It's all over youtube and twitter.. I can find non pros who think they know better than the pros no problem.
Here's my desperation........a Sports Illustrated article by Peter Gammons quoting what Williams et al actually said. But Williams with his decades old batting average record is not one of Julray's pros so what's he know?
When your argument doesn't hold up, attack the messenger.
Desperation, yes! You are completely hopeless!

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2017
Which part

Which portion?
To my untrained eye it looks like all his weight is on the back leg, never getting into the front at all. The hitters in the clip above use the front leg to push into the ground and unweight the back leg to varying degrees.

May 12, 2016
The problem I have with that article, and I am sure I'm not the only one is the term "Swinging Down". It's how everything I posted, everything the pros have said, everything they demo, every swing they take has been misrepresented in that article and misunderstood by yourself. The comments about no hips "Try to swing down. There's no hip movement at all there. ", Ted is alluding to a swing where the hitter is standing tall, with no leverage or posture, ABAF... upper body dominated swing. Sorry, that's not what the pro's practice or demo, with the exception of when they are just isolating hand path. The "swinging down' comments in this article is like trying to fit a round peg in a square hole, it's simply not applicable at all to the type of swing the pros today are referring to.

What I mean by desperate is having to go back to 1986 for a magazine clipping, yet I can show you hundreds of video clips demonstrating what the best in the game are doing right now.

Jul 29, 2013
The problem I have with that article, and I am sure I'm not the only one is the term "Swinging Down". It's how everything I posted, everything the pros have said, everything they demo, every swing they take has been misrepresented in that article and misunderstood by yourself. The comments about no hips "Try to swing down. There's no hip movement at all there. ", Ted is alluding to a swing where the hitter is standing tall, with no leverage or posture, ABAF... upper body dominated swing. Sorry, that's not what the pro's practice or demo, with the exception of when they are just isolating hand path. The "swinging down' comments in this article is like trying to fit a round peg in a square hole, it's simply not applicable at all to the type of swing the pros today are referring to.

What I mean by desperate is having to go back to 1986 for a magazine clipping, yet I can show you hundreds of video clips demonstrating what the best in the game are doing right now.
What you and others here have done is to distort the very meaning of the word "down" so you can believe that the pros are accurately representing what we all, including you, can clearly see is not their game swing.
The 1986 article is evidence that even back then, the pros didn't know how they swung and that they practiced a swing vastly different than the one they use in the game. That feel isn't real.
Then there's the excuse that in the present day demos they aren't using their core and legs, "they are just isolating hand path", and yet when Williams demonstrates that by swinging down Mattingly can't use his hips, you dismiss him. Once again moving the goal posts to support your agenda. ...and you couldn't even see the swing Williams is criticizing!
I watched a plane take off today. It's nose pointed skyward while it traveled up but mostly forward. I immediately understood your reasoning. If the plane was moving with its belly leading the way, it must actually be moving downward because the belly is down in reference to the passengers. So once the plane tilts back, it falls into the sky. Then when it tilts it's nose downward, the top of the plane leads the way and so the plane rises toward the ground (from the passengers point of reference) It all makes sense! Up is actually down! It's all according to Einstein's theory of general relativity. Yeah, that's it!
Except that as the viewer of a swing, everyone's reference plane is the ground and, per the convention, that's down! So providing a demo that necessitates the viewer distort convention, is not providing a realistic demo at all. The viewer can only compare his swing to a pros swing by viewing it side by side and thus the demos are unless. They're only useful as compared to other demos with the disclaimer that they aren't "real" or complete swings.
And that is how I sum your argument. Useless and a complete waste of time.

May 12, 2016
What you and others here have done is to distort the very meaning of the word "down" so you can believe that the pros are accurately representing what we all, including you, can clearly see is not their game swing.
The 1986 article is evidence that even back then, the pros didn't know how they swung and that they practiced a swing vastly different than the one they use in the game. That feel isn't real.
Then there's the excuse that in the present day demos they aren't using their core and legs, "they are just isolating hand path", and yet when Williams demonstrates that by swinging down Mattingly can't use his hips, you dismiss him. Once again moving the goal posts to support your agenda. ...and you couldn't even see the swing Williams is criticizing!
I watched a plane take off today. It's nose pointed skyward while it traveled up but mostly forward. I immediately understood your reasoning. If the plane was moving with its belly leading the way, it must actually be moving downward because the belly is down in reference to the passengers. So once the plane tilts back, it falls into the sky. Then when it tilts it's nose downward, the top of the plane leads the way and so the plane rises toward the ground (from the passengers point of reference) It all makes sense! Up is actually down! It's all according to Einstein's theory of general relativity. Yeah, that's it!
Except that as the viewer of a swing, everyone's reference plane is the ground and, per the convention, that's down! So providing a demo that necessitates the viewer distort convention, is not providing a realistic demo at all. The viewer can only compare his swing to a pros swing by viewing it side by side and thus the demos are unless. They're only useful as compared to other demos with the disclaimer that they aren't "real" or complete swings.
And that is how I sum your argument. Useless and a complete waste of time.

That's what he's doing in the video.. isolating hand path, I don't know what else to say about that..lol.

Right, I can't see the swing they are demoing because you can't find a video.., just a magazine clipping from 86. However I'm no pro that's for damn well sure, but with comments like that about the being unable to use the hips, it's not that hard to figure out.. ABAF.

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
That's what he's doing in the video.. isolating hand path, I don't know what else to say about that..lol.

Right, I can't see the swing they are demoing because you can't find a video.., just a magazine clipping from 86. However I'm no pro that's for damn well sure, but with comments like that about the being unable to use the hips, it's not that hard to figure out.. ABAF.

That would mean one would have to look into using the front side (pitchers side) of the body including the front leg.. Not possible if one uses the rear leg to control the sequence.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LeeTD&Coach