Tryouts

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 10, 2011
This happened to DD 2 years ago. New HC in the middle of the season changed the entire Team dynamic in a bad way for DD.
I know my story is not unusual unfortunately. A lot of the teams around here have folded and I don't know that we can travel very far do to my work schedule. Hopefully there will be a change and we can stay.

Jan 15, 2009
In a nutshell this is what ruins youth softball for me. Nationals is the culmination of a year long journey and in many ways a reward for the coaches and players for all their hard work. It should be a week just about the experience of playing softball at a high level and enjoying this last week spent together. Unfortunately due to time constraints and the offseason being non existant it inevitably becomes a week where manuvering your child to their situation for the next season intrudes on the shining moment for this season. This isn't the parents fault but the nature of the system that has been created. I used to get on my soapbox and tell parents that we will not discuss next season during this season but when the tryouts start 24 hours after nationals end that doesn't leave much time for people to make informed decisions and other teams have no problems securing post season tryout times for your current players even while you are at nationals or between games. Reality is that parents expect you to be able to give them 90% of the information about next season before this season is over and you have to be prepared to do so.

Apr 6, 2012
In a nutshell this is what ruins youth softball for me. Nationals is the culmination of a year long journey and in many ways a reward for the coaches and players for all their hard work. It should be a week just about the experience of playing softball at a high level and enjoying this last week spent together. Unfortunately due to time constraints and the offseason being non existant it inevitably becomes a week where manuvering your child to their situation for the next season intrudes on the shining moment for this season. This isn't the parents fault but the nature of the system that has been created. I used to get on my soapbox and tell parents that we will not discuss next season during this season but when the tryouts start 24 hours after nationals end that doesn't leave much time for people to make informed decisions and other teams have no problems securing post season tryout times for your current players even while you are at nationals or between games. Reality is that parents expect you to be able to give them 90% of the information about next season before this season is over and you have to be prepared to do so.

I had a parent ask me the other day if I wanted to change my tryouts to a week earlier ( a day or two after we return from Nationals) because there were teams having tryouts on that day and we are a week later. Everyone panics to get their tryouts done quickly without giving these kids a chance to breathe.

Even a week after Nationals seems early, but if I don't do it then, players will have gone to other teams. Sad but true.

Oct 10, 2011
We just had the wife of one of the coaches tell a group of us that an A level team in our area is folding and many of them are coming to our tryouts. She said everyone should try out for other teams because they might not get asked back. This I find in bad taste for the wife of the coach to do...at least in that way. Everyone knows they have to try out each year anyway. I tend to think that her husband will be the first one to be asked to leave as he can't seem to control his temper...something he admits to having problems with.
Three of the teams we were going to try out for have tryouts at the same time. I was told by the secretary of the organization, that the president of the org. contacted her to see if maybe we were exaggerating a little about our situation with playing time (he's aware of the other problems)... she said in a nutshell, we've been screwed!
In the meantime, we are going to Nationals just to have fun and we'll cheer on the girls that play. Our tryouts are 2 weeks after...I wish it were only 1 just to get it over with.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
We just had the wife of one of the coaches tell a group of us that an A level team in our area is folding and many of them are coming to our tryouts. She said everyone should try out for other teams because they might not get asked back. This I find in bad taste for the wife of the coach to do...at least in that way. Everyone knows they have to try out each year anyway. I tend to think that her husband will be the first one to be asked to leave as he can't seem to control his temper...something he admits to having problems with.
Three of the teams we were going to try out for have tryouts at the same time. I was told by the secretary of the organization, that the president of the org. contacted her to see if maybe we were exaggerating a little about our situation with playing time (he's aware of the other problems)... she said in a nutshell, we've been screwed!
In the meantime, we are going to Nationals just to have fun and we'll cheer on the girls that play. Our tryouts are 2 weeks after...I wish it were only 1 just to get it over with.

I find that refreshingly honest and open. Imagine if you didn't know, then skipped other tryouts assuming your dd had a spot. Then to find out, nope several girls from a team that folded came to the tryout and your dd is the odd man out (so to speak). then to find out later that not only was this something the coaches knew might happen, but it was not told to you to keep you in limbo as a sort of safety net in case these girls didn't tryout for your team. At least now you know you need to look into options, in case you need them. It sounds like you already had some plans in place, but did everyone?

BTW I would never tell another organization or team how screwed up the coach on my current team is. Any complaint is going to look like a red flag, especially one that sounds like its an exaggeration. Coaching is a smaller community then you think, you never know who is going to end up in a different org down the road or who will end up coaching at your dds HS. If they ask why you are switching teams, you just smile and say. I have heard good things about your organization and leave it at that.

Oct 10, 2011
I find that refreshingly honest and open. Imagine if you didn't know, then skipped other tryouts assuming your dd had a spot. Then to find out, nope several girls from a team that folded came to the tryout and your dd is the odd man out (so to speak). then to find out later that not only was this something the coaches knew might happen, but it was not told to you to keep you in limbo as a sort of safety net in case these girls didn't tryout for your team. At least now you know you need to look into options, in case you need them. It sounds like you already had some plans in place, but did everyone?

BTW I would never tell another organization or team how screwed up the coach on my current team is. Any complaint is going to look like a red flag, especially one that sounds like its an exaggeration. Coaching is a smaller community then you think, you never know who is going to end up in a different org down the road or who will end up coaching at your dds HS. If they ask why you are switching teams, you just smile and say. I have heard good things about your organization and leave it at that.

I guess it's that it comes from the wife and not the coaches who never have much to say...and I'm being touchy over the whole situation anyway.
I totally agree about talking bad about the coaches. Sometimes they change teams as fast as the girls on the teams:) I'll bash them online!

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2009
Coaches may have input during evaluations but there should be an independent group of people evaluating and picking the team.

Absolutely NOT!!!!!! If I'm coaching a group of players for the next 12 months they are going to be the players I picked. Sorry, running a team by committee does not work. That's why there's only one captain on ship.

Once the teams are assembled they should then look at who volunteered to coach and go from there.

If you're talking rec ball, maybe. Anything else.. No way!!

Ideally the coach wouldn't be a parent but those are hard to come by

This is a very true from all aspects. Usually the only place you'll find non-parent coaching is at some of your higher level travel organizations. I coached in a high level organization for a while and left. I worked with a rec organization who wanted to try and venture into travel softball. That turned out to be a more headaches than I wanted to deal with from the inexperienced patents. This year I'm going back to top level ball for 2013. Can't wait for tryouts to start.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mooneyham6877