Tryouts

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
Coaches may have input during evaluations but there should be an independent group of people evaluating and picking the team.

I agree with Sparky... NO, however I did have outside people evaluate the players so there were no bais. Then the Coaching staff sat down and went through and picked the team.

Once the teams are assembled they should then look at who volunteered to coach and go from there.

Again, Nope. You have to have the coaching staff assembled prior to try-outs, anything less is a very low level run organization

Ideally the coach wouldn't be a parent but those are hard to come by

True, but I have seen great coaches that have kids on the team, and I have seen bad coaches that didn't have a kid on the team so it goes both ways. The best way is to observe the team during games when they don't know your watching them.

Feb 3, 2011
I would not even take my DD to a tryout unless the coaches were already announced and would be present.

SoftballMomof2

Softball Mom
Aug 16, 2010
I know this is an older post, but wanted to put in my 2 cents.

Often times, if tryouts are held before Nationals, coaches will not be announced. There are many reasons for this, but one being, the "new" coaches current team that s/he is going to Nationals with. It goes both ways, when announcing the coach - it is best to wait until the commitments for all parties involved have been fulfilled.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dadmad