Tryout - Poor communication/professionalism?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 13, 2010
As soon as they ask you to play on the team they're looking for your replacement. So, you really shouldn't be that surprised that they're not that interested in you in the first place.

Coach-n-Dad

Crazy Daddy
Oct 31, 2008
DD was on a team for a couple of years that had 40+ kids try our for each season. How they handled "cuts" was cold but very efficient. There was a 3 day tryout. At the end of each day they posted a list of participants on a wall listing who was invited back for the next day of tryouts. The girls that were on the list to come back the 3rd day - made the team.

Oct 24, 2012
You can email 10291038098123547198075019857123 people in two minutes.

Dear Softball Tryouter Outers,
Although we appreciate you trying out for the team, you were not chosen to play for our team.

Thanks again for coming to the tryout and we look forward to hearing from you next year.

Thanks, Team Coaching Staff

Done. How hard?

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
These stories are good. Keep 'em coming.

I work in the media, and I spend half my days sending emails and posting messages on boards like this. (Slight exaggeration.) So my wife tells me that a larger part of my pie chart is spent conversing with people by writing than most and that I shouldn't hold others to the same expectation of prompt and clear communication. I guess she's got a point, but I'm still like many others here - Just how hard is it to send an email? Are the words that difficult? Some of these coaches throw their hates and yell when 12-year-old girls miss the cutoff man or chase pitches when the count is 2-0, but they can't write a professional email or return a call.

Oct 25, 2009
A better way might be to have the players email the coach. Then all the coach has to do is reply to the email; therefore, ensuring that the email has the correct address. And maybe some other advantages, like comments, or passing along another team's tryout information, for example.

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
seriously-I'm looking at teams as a first time TB dad right now and I am going into it with the same expectations I have with all personal and professional relationships. We will be a dedicated, hard working and loyal family and my kids will give everything they got. We will communicate concisely and clearly with teams/coaches and if we are not shown the respect of a courtesy email for our inquiries or our time at tryouts then we will cross a team off the list. I don't care if they are the highest level most respected team on the planet, I won't put up with lack of courtesy or feeling like my kids are a commodity. Naïve?- possibly but that is how we are approaching it.

Oct 4, 2011
Colorado
For big organizations with dozens of players trying out - I like the 3 day with callback lists method for two reasons: 1) it is impossible to accurately evaluate 40 girls in one day and 2) everyone knows exactly where they stand.

For smaller organizations which see 20, even 30 or fewer girls trying out, the coach should be expected to give a call to everyone. It is a matter of respect and courtesy. Years ago, my DD tried out for an organization who told us that "they would call if they were interested". Yep. No phone call. It's a terrible feeling, being in a weird sort of limbo, especially when the player is eleven years old and is looking to Mom to explain the world of arrogant adults.

Coaches: PLEASE let everyone know where they stand. Tryout season is a soul-sucking endeavor; the worst two weeks of the entire year. How would you feel if you gave out an offer to someone that you really liked and she just never got back to you, ever? Would you just give up? Cross her off your list forever more? Wonder if she had drowned in a puddle and should you alert the authorities? It goes both ways - Players: PLEASE let your coaches know if you are leaving/shopping around/never want to play softball ever again in your entire life. Showing some mutual respect will help next year when we all have to play eachother and shake hand afterwards :)

Mar 18, 2013
Get all those names from handwritten sheets into a mail program and then ask the question again. Let alone being able to read half of them.

That takes quite a bit less effort than what one player (and family) expend to attend a tryout.

Oct 25, 2009
That takes quite a bit less effort than what one player (and family) expend to attend a tryout.

If you can't read them, you can't read them. And some of the ones you CAN read are often incorrect.

Give them your email address and have them email you if they are still interested in your team after the tryout. It is much easier for a player to send ONE email than for busy coaches to send THIRTY emails! It is much easier and more accurate for coaches to REPLY to an email.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA