Try out plans

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 28, 2010
All,

Would like some input on holding a tryout for a 12U travel ball team. Does anyone have a good set of 'tests' that they have for the kids to go through that can show their abilities.

any thoughts welcome.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
This is off topic but a running joke around here.

Years ago in rec, we had a coach that picked his players not on talent, but went through the sign up list ( 100 kids ) and picked his players with single moms or divorced moms. His teams were never any good, but they had the prettiest fans. :)

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I had forgotten that. They are called GLMs. Good looking moms. No wonder my daughter had to fight her way on to teams. I was no help, even though I owned a Jugs pitching machine.

Sep 6, 2009
State of Confusion
All,

Would like some input on holding a tryout for a 12U travel ball team. Does anyone have a good set of 'tests' that they have for the kids to go through that can show their abilities.

any thoughts welcome.

Hmmm.. How about running, hitting, fielding, and throwing? Not to be a smart rear, but usually its obvious.

If you time their baserunning, watch them hit off a tee and soft-toss, watch them do IF at various positions, and OF , you will quickly see who the refined players are, who has raw potential, as well as who is probably as good as they will get, and who just plain is in over their head and will never be as good as the others.

And yep, parents and kids attitudes count for something too. You want people you can depend on, all the time. dont want to take a backseat to another sport or something like that.

At that age they probably wont all be refined players, so athleticism and speed will probably be a large part, and quite obvious. You will quickly know who you can turn into good players, and who you probably cant.

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2009
That tryout evaluation was a good read. Does everyone else hold to the same principle that your 2B is your second best fielder? We have typically used 2B as one of our weeker fielders.

I would almost change the order and put good parents first. Good thing about travel ball is you aren't tied to them. You can always cut them (easier said then done for someone who's a softy like me).

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mrakesii