Trust the Process!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 27, 2013
As some of you may have seen me post, dd has been looking at high academic schools. It’s been a very difficult path since even though the coaches have shown a lot of interest, they need to see grades and standardized test scores as well before continuing the process. She has been staying hopeful and committed to what she wants while watching girls she knows in her grade verbally commit left and right. She takes difficult courses and studies her a** off.

Fast forward to a couple weeks ago - she rocked a standardized test. GPA has always been very competitive but this was the piece she was struggling with. She emailed her coaches her score and now the official visit offers have been coming in!! I know, we still have a ways to go but this is sooo uplifting for her!!! This summer will be even more exciting as that’s when a few other schools she is interested in can offer official visits.

I just need to post this here. She has worked soooo hard both academically and athletically. It has not been an easy road as she’s had to overcome a speech disorder along the way. Something kids made fun of when she was younger. I‘m just so happy for her that her dream is getting that much closer to being a reality.

Sep 29, 2014
It is true the process for the high academic schools is a little different; the coach can't simply walk in a put in the word for a girl who isn't even close to meeting the institutions academic standards (assuming no scholarships)...congrats to her on the test score...just keep working the process and it should come especially if you are already getting asks for official visits.

Apr 26, 2015
So exciting! DD is pretty driven and studies all.the.time as well - so stories like this make me happy.

Jun 8, 2016
It has not been an easy road as she’s had to overcome a speech disorder along the way. Something kids made fun of when she was younger.
I have a friend from HS who had, and still has, a pretty bad stutter. She got her BS,MS and PhD from MIT and now is a research professor there.

Sep 17, 2009
Are the high-academic schools D1 or D3? World of difference recruiting-wise I think. Get a top SAT/ACT score and high academic D3s will be lining up at your door. Show some skills and a great attitude and she'll have some wonderful opportunities no doubt.

May 27, 2013
She really likes the smaller D3 LAC’s. We toured several campuses on our own after camps this summer/fall and she just fell in love with the atmosphere and size. It seems that the recruiting process varies depending on the specific conferences - as some will not hold official visits until this summer or fall of senior year due to needing academic pre-reads. She had a couple of unofficial visits where she met with the players and coaches and did tours but it was stressed that while her GPA was fine, her test results would be extremely important to keep the process moving forward.

This is just a small step in the process but a very positive one!

Aug 19, 2015
Atlanta, GA
I know it's very personal, but do you mind sharing the range of scores that those schools are looking for (you don't have to list specific schools, but just that high-achievement schools are looking for XX-YY range scores).

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ying