Trips to the Mound

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 3, 2009
What are the some of the things coaches do or say to help their young pitchers to focus and relax on the mound when they get out of their rhythm? I sometimes like to crack jokes with the 9 year olds but the material is getting old, plus that NEVER works with my own DD. She's more likely to just roll her eyes at me than she is to smile. LOL. Sometimes I'm better off sending another coach to talk with "her". Anyway, I haven't been doing this for all that long and am wondering how some of the more experienced coaches handle the young ones, especially when it isn't an obvious mechanical issue. Some of the younger girls just seem to tighten up once they have walked a few and just need to relax and try to have fun. The hard part is getting them to that point obviously. Thoughts?

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Here is what I say - "OK. Your not coming out. We are going to work through this. Here is the pitch sequence for this batter. FB, FB, C. Then, FB, FB, C. Let's see those 6 pitches. If she hits the first pitch go right back to FB, FB, C - for the next girl. Now, nod your head yes, 3 times."

Of course, depending on how well you know the girl, you can ask if she is alright, but don't offer to take her out if you think she can get her rhythm back.

Sometimes, I just pick a part of her motion and talk about it (out of the blue), like "How come you've shortened up your stride? It's throwing you whole motion off." I could talk to her about her release for anything. I am just trying to get her to focus on something that she "thinks" is going to help her.

Or I might say "This batter is yours. She struck out last time on pitches that were outside. Work one pitch at a time."

Sep 29, 2008
Northeast Ohio
Here is what I say ....

I love all of Amy in AZ advice. That is what I have found is helping this year. Just be honest about the game situation and set some short term goals to get out of the inning. Getting the pitcher to focus on something like a location, internal rotation, the fact that she only needs 2 outs and she has "D" behind her helps her focus again on the game and not on "how bad she is doing" or "she's letting down the team" or any of those big negatives.

It is important to realize however that when most girls have a complete meltdown and can't find the zone it is just as likely that they do not have proper mechanics at all rather that being mental or emotional. As parents and coaches we are to often guilty of getting on kids like they are not trying hard enough to throw strikes or are losing it emotionally when in reality they don't have the tools to get the job done. When that is the case...no matter how hard they try they will likely not get it back. Set them down...tell them great effort and begin to work on specific areas of their mechanics next practice.

Last edited:

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
Have any of you EVER actually been a pitcher? If I lose my focus or lose my cool, whatever happens that puts me out of control, MY CATCHER is the ONLY one that can get my focus back and keep it where it is supposed to be. You say anything from the stands or the dugout that makes me turn my head away from ths strike zone, you are NOT helping me, you are just pissing me off!

Her catcher needs to be trained to take control of her pitcher and keep that pitcher's focus on HER.

Sep 29, 2008
Northeast Ohio
Have any of you EVER actually been a pitcher? If I lose my focus or lose my cool, whatever happens that puts me out of control, MY CATCHER is the ONLY one that can get my focus back and keep it where it is supposed to be. You say anything from the stands or the dugout that makes me turn my head away from ths strike zone, you are NOT helping me, you are just pissing me off!

Original post states the pitcher is 9 year olds

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
9 or 19, same thing applies. You think she wants you stopping the game to come out there and hold her hand, so to speak? If funny comments help her, let the catcher make them, teach her some. "C'mon Katie, throw her a chair and set her down", "Cmon Katie. Forget about the last last game, ER called they said she woke up". Get em started on those zimgers early. It helps the pitcher and breaks the batter's concentration all at the same time.

"CMon Katie, throw this one a soap-on-a-rope, PLEASE!" "Cmon Katie. (Points to the on deck batter) I dont think she said that at all"

Mar 15, 2010
Only two reasons I visit the mound:

1. Pull the pitcher
2. Pitcher is injured

Otherwise I have the catcher visit the mound to calm down my pitchers.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd