Tricks Of The Trade (Review)

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 18, 2010
In my experience, a young pitcher who has the wrist cupped, curled, or pointed toward 2nd base is going to have something radically wrong at the bottom of the pitch during release. They will twist the ball instead of snapping it, creating bullet spin. Or they will turn the hand over the ball, creating a top side spin like action.

For those that have the Gillis Instructional DVDs, he actually suggests cupping the wrist on the rise ball. He suggests doing so puts the pitchers hand in a better position to get under the ball at release.

gvm

Sep 3, 2010
just got done watching "tricks of the trade" video and i thought it was awesome !!!!
thanks again bill !!!

MEL

Apr 16, 2010
My daughter Sam had her first lesson with Bill yesterday in Portland, ME. He's a great teacher and she can't wait for next months lesson. Got a copy of the new DVD and watched last night. Great Stuff !!

Thanks Bill !!

Aug 18, 2010
Gary Leland at Fastpitch.tv has posted the next Hillhouse episode #223, Movement Pitches Part 1. There will be 2 additional episodes to finish the series from Bill's presentation at last years SoftballCon.

May 4, 2009
Baltimore
For those that have the Gillis Instructional DVDs, he actually suggests cupping the wrist on the rise ball. He suggests doing so puts the pitchers hand in a better position to get under the ball at release.

Here is a case where both of you are right. Cupping the ball will cause problems. I teach cocking the wrist (vs. cupping) and locking it in place so that when the ball reaches the hip area the hand is in the ideal position for release of the rise ball. The centrifugal force of the arm will cause the back spin if the wrist is appropriately locked. I have taken kids who can't throw a riseball at all and within a month or two have a respectable pitch with the proper spin. The analogy that I use is one of a golf club which when swung properly will give perfect backspin. That is what the locked wrist does.

Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
I've tried to watch the DVD on my computer using the Windows Media Player...no luck...something about the .BUP file extension...anybody else have this issue?

You can't watch a DVD in WMP without alot of changes to your preferences. Not sure what system you have, but I'm hoping at least Windows 7. In 7, you can go to start button and select Defaut Programs. Try switching them around. You can always download a free open source player...VideoLAN - Official page for VLC media player, the Open Source video framework! It will do lot more "tricks of the trade" than Windows Media Player... like Slo-mo, and lots of other useful things for pitching & hitting videos, and even converting... gooday

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AcworthSoftballMom