In need of bucket parent 101

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 31, 2021
If there is any once piece of equipment I always wear it’s a mask. DD’s first PC wouldn’t allow anyone to catch if they didn’t wear one. There’s been a few teams I’ve probably saved a few of my teeth by wearing it. Drop or CU hitting the plate and bouncing up or just an unexpected misfired pitch can cause some damage, even at lower speeds.
Pitches in the dirt - first I decide can you just get out the way if so do it. If you can't then I have learned to put my glove where I think it will be / bounce and turn my head to the side. So far only one time I took it in the ear. But that is better than dental work! But a mask is still way better option.

Jun 19, 2016
The issue with the tall buckets is they put your glove out of the strike zone. I use a 3 gallon bucket. As others have said safety shoes are a must. I personally just prefer to hire a catcher for $20. I find it best to get myself out of the process.

Nov 20, 2020
SW Missouri
Yup, I wear boots (in the winter). Flip flops in the summer.

I'm on borrowed time, for sure.

I wear Hey Dudes all of the time since I work from home. I took one missed drop ball off my big toe and that changed real quick. Luckily, I found a set of discontinued Under Armor turf shoes that had a built in protective toe coverings. It wasn't as much as a metal toe, but they were definitely stronger/more protective over the toes than a normal shoe or cleat. I ended up wearing those every time I caught for DD.

DW used to help catch for DD early on so I could watch mechanics. But as DD sped up and achieved more movement, DW didn't feel comfortable anymore. I tried to get DW to catch for me a couple times, but after a few mis-catches (fingers/palm/thumb) she stopped. But kudos to her for wanting to try.

I finally would put my hockey shin guards on when catching DD. As she got into 55mph I wore a couple off the shin or ankle that put me on the ground.

Oct 4, 2018
Yeah, this summer I'll wear my boots with shorts (instead of flip flops). I am old enough to not care one iota what I look like.

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
My biggest issue with wearing boots is they're not good with shin guards. I've been looking for a good pair of steel toe sneakers, but I'm having trouble finding any to try on. I need to know if they're flexible enough for crouching since I don't sit on a bucket.

Aug 1, 2019
MN
My biggest issue with wearing boots is they're not good with shin guards. I've been looking for a good pair of steel toe sneakers, but I'm having trouble finding any to try on. I need to know if they're flexible enough for crouching since I don't sit on a bucket.
Farm supply stores, blue collar/no-collar workwear stores may have low-top safety toe shoes in stock.

Jan 6, 2018
From experience, a steel toe shoe that’s also flexible is only great in theory. Unfortunately a 60 mph ball just smashes the steel into your toe. I don’t wear those anymore!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802