Trickery has no place on the field??

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 29, 2013
From the guy who had to look up "LBR" to answer this question (once I saw the definition I finally got it, just couldn't figure out the acronym), the play itself makes a mockery of the game IMO. The hidden ball trick is one thing, but looking and acting like fools to take advantage of a team that isn't quite there with the softball I.Q. is poor sportsmanship. Beat them on the field or go home. Glad to hear it didn't work, the only thing that would have made me happier is to hear that the OP's team laughed at the other team.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
Please, give it a break! People who whine about these type of things are usually those who get caught by this type of play.

Please note, if you keep score, the purpose must be to win. To win, you play the game, the whole game. Is it chicken shirt? Maybe, but it is not illegal. If you get caught by it, your team and coaches are not doing their job and have no right to complain.

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
The situation described by the OP sounds a bit over the top but by 14U base runner and coach should know better than to be caught by it. I'd have more of a problem pulling this type of play against a very inexperience 10U team but it would be a good learning experience on the LBR so even then if it works what the heck.

Apr 30, 2010
Artic Circle
Part of the game...Ive seen shortstops on the pros call "I got it" on a ball that is clearly hit to the outfield just to keep a runner from tagging up. If the team that tried this doesn't mind looking foolish doing this shame on them. If your team gives up an out shame on you.

If it is within the rules I do not have a problem with it.

Jul 2, 2013
Part of the game...Ive seen shortstops on the pros call "I got it" on a ball that is clearly hit to the outfield just to keep a runner from tagging up. If the team that tried this doesn't mind looking foolish doing this shame on them. If your team gives up an out shame on you.

If it is within the rules I do not have a problem with it.

Wow, you were going fine until this came up. Making loud verbal sounds to throw players off is poor sportsmanship. It is cautioned against and not done at the higher levels. Do it if you wish, maybe there is nothing against it, but eventually you will be called out and someone will call you a poor sport.

If that doesn't bother you fine, but it is a long journey. How about gentle heckling from the stands. Calling out pitches from the outfield fences. Delaying games extensively for time limits, I could go on and on.

Better to play the game in the manner it was intended. Beat folks the right way. Let your game do the talking, little else. Much better in the long run and teaches young ladies the correct lesson.

The pro's are playing for different reasons. Their livelihood is at stack. Not true in travel softball.

Last edited:
One my favorites that we did when DD's were playing 12U (younger DD was 10 and playing right field) and older DD (catcher) deliberately overthrew first base (with a runner there that kept annoying the pitcher). DD2 had snuck over to the right field line, and caught the overthrow. Runner on first was trotting to second and easily thrown out there.

But I HATE teams that yell "I GOT IT" form the dugout on infield popups.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hgielaz01