Trick plays?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
Anybody seen or have any good softball trick plays?

Of coarse we have used the throw down cut-off play, who hasn't.

We also have used the 'wounded Eagle' play. Runner at 1st and 3rd, less than 2 outs, usually a tie game. After the pitch the runner on first attempts to advance to 2nd, about 3/4 of the way there she trips and falls. ( she must look like it was not intentional ) 8 times out of 10 the catcher will throw down for the easy out. Runner on 3rd comes home.

Not as many defensive trick plays in softball because of no lead off.

Oct 19, 2009
beyond the fences
If you play fundamentally sound ball, there is little need for trickery.
We have successfully don 'red light' 'green light' fake throws to 1B with a runner on 3rd
with batter bunting. With runner on 3 and a walk, we have our runner round and head to
2nd to entice a throw.

May 12, 2008
trick play

Fast runner on 1st that you know will steal 2nd and your catcher has no chance of throwing her out. Runner takes off, Catcher throws a pop fly to the 2nd baseman/SS and everyone yells for them to throw the ball to 1st. Hopefully you can trick the runner into thinking the ball was popped up on the infield and you can tag her out "returning to 1st".

Mar 15, 2010
I avoid trick plays with one exception. When my SS or 3rd spots a runner taking a large lead off they call out a code phrase to the pitcher and catcher. Using the code phrase is critical as it informs the pitcher and catcher the play is on but does not tip off the base runner. The play is designed to look like the infield is not paying attention. Depending upon where the runner is, 2nd or 3rd, the infielders will appear to be playing soft. For example, if the runner is on 2nd my second baseman won't cover the bag. This gives the runner confidence they can extend their lead off since on one is covering the bag. The key to the play is the pitcher receiving the ball from the catcher. Once receiving the ball my pitcher turns her back on the runners. As soon as they go my SS calls out and the pitcher throws to the base, in this case 3rd. So far this season we are 2- 2 with this play.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
If you play fundamentally sound ball, there is little need for trickery.

We don't use trick plays very often. But when we see some teams strut their stuff, or use trick plays on the other weaker teams, I feel it is my job to return the favor. :) The look on their faces...........priceless!!!

Jan 23, 2010
VA, USA
We have used a trick play when there is a runner on first and second. Runner on first will steal, walking across while clapping. Catcher will usually try to get easy out, causing run to score.

Dec 12, 2009
CT
While they may work for 10U & possibly 12U, on most of these 1st and 3rd trick plays, any experienced team (14U & up) will never fall for it. They will already know whether they are willing to give up the run to get an out (e.g. if they are up big in the game). If they are, they will take the easy out at 2B. If they are protecting against the run, they either won't make the throw, or they will have their own trick play to get the 3B runner to commit and then you lose your lead runner.

On the defensive side, I have seen intentional overthrows to 3B on a pick-off play. The ball gets by 3B or SS (whoever is covering) and the runner breaks for home. Left field is already on the move to back up the throw, and throws home to gun down the runner. Seen it also work (and is less risky) with a 1B runner and RF covering. You can call it with a pitch-out so your OF can get a good jump without being out of position on a hit ball.

Jan 15, 2009
We don't use trick plays very often. But when we see some teams strut their stuff, or use trick plays on the other weaker teams, I feel it is my job to return the favor. :) The look on their faces...........priceless!!!

Had a guy tell me his team used a 45 page play book. So we ran a few of his own on him when we played. I agree that makes it fun. It's pathetic when a dominating team pulls them out against a weak opponent.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
While they may work for 10U & possibly 12U, on most of these 1st and 3rd trick plays, any experienced team (14U & up) will never fall for it. They will already know whether they are willing to give up the run to get an out (e.g. if they are up big in the game). If they are, they will take the easy out at 2B. If they are protecting against the run, they either won't make the throw, or they will have their own trick play to get the 3B runner to commit and then you lose your lead runner.

The 'wounded Eagle or Sniper play' ( have heard it called both ) must be carefully timed. It's not one you would use but a couple of times a season. We would only use in a tied championship game with an extremely intense game happening. With all the emotions and yelling you'd be surprised at how quickly seasoned players will fall for it, being caught up in the moment. And man, you talk about some MAD coaches. Even if they don't fall for it nothing is lost. The runner will still make it to second safely, and 3rd will still be occupied.

The overthrow play you mentioned is a good one too. We call it the 'rubber band play'.

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2009
CT
The 'wounded Eagle or Sniper play' ( have heard it called both ) must be carefully timed. It's not one you would use but a couple of times a season. We would only use in a tied championship game with an extremely intense game happening. With all the emotions and yelling you'd be surprised at how quickly seasoned players will fall for it, being caught up in the moment. And man, you talk about some MAD coaches. Even if they don't fall for it nothing is lost. The runner will still make it to second safely, and 3rd will still be occupied.

The overthrow play you mentioned is a good one too. We call it the 'rubber band play'.

You are right that there is little to lose by trying it. You still end up with the runner at 2B (assuming your 3B runner doesn't fall for the defense's cut play). And I'll BET you see some mad coaches if the catcher makes that throw...with the winning run on 3B!!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06