Tree on the field

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 20, 2012
SoCal
HS Varsity, NFHS/CIF rules:

We are the visiting team. At the plate meeting, umpire points out the decently-sized tree growing in left-field foul territory. It has about 3 trunks growing out at odd angles, none of which infringe onto fair territory. A ball hit down the line could conceivably end up hitting the tree, and so could a mis-thrown ball to 3B. Umpire then turns to me to ask how I want it to be called if the ball hits the tree.

His specific question was, "If the ball hits the tree, do you want me to kill it, or play on?" By "kill it" I assumed he meant treat it as a blocked ball, so that is what I chose (I didn't want my F7 crashing headlong into the tree trying to retrieve a ball). He then said to tell our girls to run hard because he'll give them the next base depending on where they are when it hits the tree.

1) Wouldn't this be a blocked ball and thus be subject to whichever rule governs the situation which led to the blocked ball?

2) If not a blocked ball, shouldn't the home team establish the ground rules at their field?

3) Was his blanket application of "give you the next base" for all blocked ball situations arising from hitting the tree correct?

Jun 12, 2015
This post cracks me up. I have no idea about the rules but it's a pretty funny situation.

Aug 6, 2013
played some odd ground rules but that one is something...

CE30qdUWMAAPoI9.jpg

Wasn't this field was it?

Jun 20, 2012
SoCal
played some odd ground rules but that one is something...

I almost told my LF to throw the ball at the tree anytime there was a ball hit to her. Kill the play, limit the runner(s) to the base she was probably going to achieve anyways, and minimize chances for a throwing error getting the ball back into the infield.

At another field we played at, RF foul territory was maybe 5 feet wide with an enormous tree growing maybe 20 feet past 1B. The tree's canopy reached about 20-25 feet into RF. Ground rule there was any batted ball hitting the branches or leafs was a ground-rule double. I was trying to get all of our players to bat lefty that day.

Jun 22, 2008
Its not a blocked ball. A blocked ball is a ball that has hit something such as bats, helmets, gloves etc left out on the field by one of the teams that shouldnt have been there. Somewhere I have seen a case play about tree limbs and or power wires that overhang a field but I cannot find it.

If there are objects too near the field that could interfere with play, the home coach is suppose to develop ground rules to deal with the situation. If the visiting coach doesnt agree to the ground rules, the umpire will formulate ground rules regarding the problem.

If it was ruled a dead ball area, purposely throwing the ball into it would be treated the same as an intentional catch and carry and would be a 2 base award past the last base touched.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
If it was ruled a dead ball area, purposely throwing the ball into it would be treated the same as an intentional catch and carry and would be a 2 base award past the last base touched.

CPEM - This ^^^ kind of ruins your plan.

Damned rules 'n' stuff.

;)

Mar 13, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
"The next base from where they are when the ball hits the tree" is bad advice.

A ground rule can't supercede a "book" rule. There's no rule in the book that supports giving "the next base" if a ball becomes dead. If it's decided that hitting the tree equals a dead ball (ie: it's a dead ball area) then your only choice is two bases.

A batted fly ball that hit the tree would have to be a foul ball.

A batted non-fly fair ball hitting it would be a ground rule double (two bases from time of the pitch).

A thrown ball hitting it would be two bases from the time of the throw (when ball left the fielder's hand).

There would be a few others, but the point is if hitting the tree is a dead ball, then all of the usual dead ball awards already in the rule book would have to apply.

Jun 20, 2012
SoCal
"The next base from where they are when the ball hits the tree" is bad advice.

A ground rule can't supercede a "book" rule. There's no rule in the book that supports giving "the next base" if a ball becomes dead. If it's decided that hitting the tree equals a dead ball (ie: it's a dead ball area) then your only choice is two bases.

A batted fly ball that hit the tree would have to be a foul ball.

A batted non-fly fair ball hitting it would be a ground rule double (two bases from time of the pitch).

A thrown ball hitting it would be two bases from the time of the throw (when ball left the fielder's hand).

There would be a few others, but the point is if hitting the tree is a dead ball, then all of the usual dead ball awards already in the rule book would have to apply.

Just now saw your response. This is exactly what I thought it should have been. Thanks.

May 13, 2012
Makes me think of my adult league softball field way back when starting in center field cutting to left field and exiting in LF foul area was a two cable power line. It always amazed me how often those 1/2 wires could be hit by a batted ball starting 230 feet away. Rule was dead ball re-do.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
salgonzalez