Tree on the field

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
Its not a blocked ball. A blocked ball is a ball that has hit something such as bats, helmets, gloves etc left out on the field by one of the teams that shouldnt have been there. Somewhere I have seen a case play about tree limbs and or power wires that overhang a field but I cannot find it.

If there are objects too near the field that could interfere with play, the home coach is suppose to develop ground rules to deal with the situation. If the visiting coach doesnt agree to the ground rules, the umpire will formulate ground rules regarding the problem.

If it was ruled a dead ball area, purposely throwing the ball into it would be treated the same as an intentional catch and carry and would be a 2 base award past the last base touched.

You are never going to believe this story but I swear it is the truth and I posted it on this site when it happened a couple of years ago. DD is playing a fall "reverse exposure tournament." This is on a D-III field. She hits a blast that hits a power line in play. Ball hits the ground and so double with 2 RBIs. Opposing coach comes out livid about the call. The umpires get together and decide -------- wait for it ------ a "do over." One mom from the other team is so obnoxious and yelling at my dd that she should be out. My buddy stands up and screams at her that she should sit down and enjoy just how far my dd is going to hit the next pitch. DD hit a ball that cleared the wire, fence, backstop for another diamond and landed on the circle of that diamond. I don't know how far but it was a monumental blast. LOL Can you believe that at the college level they had a "do over?"

Jun 22, 2008
I wouldn't be surprised. Until the new NCAA rules interpreter took over there was actually a case play about a bunted ball where the umpire pointed fair and the catcher attempted to throw the ball hit the umpires arm and threw the ball away. With absolutely no rule support at all the old rule interpreter ruled the entire play was a do over. Reset the count, move runners back and throw another pitch.

Just about the first action of the new rules interpreter was to remove that case play and ruling. So I guess I could see where somehow NCAA umpires could come up with a do over.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
I wouldn't be surprised. Until the new NCAA rules interpreter took over there was actually a case play about a bunted ball where the umpire pointed fair and the catcher attempted to throw the ball hit the umpires arm and threw the ball away. With absolutely no rule support at all the old rule interpreter ruled the entire play was a do over. Reset the count, move runners back and throw another pitch.

Just about the first action of the new rules interpreter was to remove that case play and ruling. So I guess I could see where somehow NCAA umpires could come up with a do over.

Wow! Comp, you add a lot to this site!

Mar 1, 2013
You are never going to believe this story but I swear it is the truth and I posted it on this site when it happened a couple of years ago. DD is playing a fall "reverse exposure tournament." This is on a D-III field. She hits a blast that hits a power line in play. Ball hits the ground and so double with 2 RBIs. Opposing coach comes out livid about the call. The umpires get together and decide -------- wait for it ------ a "do over." One mom from the other team is so obnoxious and yelling at my dd that she should be out. My buddy stands up and screams at her that she should sit down and enjoy just how far my dd is going to hit the next pitch. DD hit a ball that cleared the wire, fence, backstop for another diamond and landed on the circle of that diamond. I don't know how far but it was a monumental blast. LOL Can you believe that at the college level they had a "do over?"

Cannonball - that wasn't at Shippensburg University, was it? If so, I'm familiar with those fields and that is a shot and a half.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
Sure, but...

OP states that tree in question is ENTIRELY in foul ground. My answer was based on that.

I took the OP as stating the 3 trunks (at their odd angles) did not infringe into fair territory. Personally, this is a no brainer to me. Any ball that hits the tree in foul territory, it is a dead ball and apply any awards appropriately.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IBSoftballDad619