Travel/Rec

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 10, 2021
This is occurring all over the place. Rec programs are forming travel teams especially at the community level. Many rural places LL is not available and player interest continues to decline. This is the "over saturation" of TB that some posters have issue with. Who cares if there is more "C" level teams? Let them play and have fun!

I think it is GREAT! There are many players wanting more instruction and competition but maybe cant afford the dues or logistically it doesn't work for their family.

Rec/LL has turned into babysitting in many places; why did all the travel players leave? Lack of instruction, lack of facilities and lack of discipline from the local league players and parents. Now the mid-level players are trying to form appropriate competitive events for their benefit. I personally know some teams with fees under $300 for a 20-25 game short season after local play.

If some players develop and play at a higher level that is a good thing right?

Feb 25, 2018
Not sure how much of an issue it is elsewhere in the country, but here in New England the issue of competitiveness in tourneys is a real issue; "A", "B" and "C" designations don't seem to be enough. Even in "B" designated tournaments, there are significant mismatches a lot of the time. I think the slow death of rec in this area has contributed to this issue.

Not sure what the answer is, though.

Jun 20, 2015
haven't been around rec in at least 5 years, but I can tell you that I see the problem in travel as well, with the A, B, & C designations. And honestly, it starts with teams that claim to be A that aren't even close to that level. And B that aren't B, etc. So you get a really good B level team playing in a B level tourney against a bunch of proclaimed B level teams that are closer to C / rec level and of course getting their butts kicked. Or the open level tourney that has a solid A level team playing and of course all the low level teams are upset.

and the teams that are maybe just solid B level teams, proclaiming that they are A level &/or showcase teams when tryout season is in, then they actually play in a real A level event, get smashed and the parents throw a fit. Who's to blame???

Feb 25, 2018
Every team should have a YouTube channel that shows their players abilities, think that could help.

Tourney format that has top seeds playing bottom seeds Sunday is useless. Getting run-ruled in a 8:00 a.m. game does nothing for developing players.

Jul 14, 2018
Tourney format that has top seeds playing bottom seeds Sunday is useless. Getting run-ruled in a 8:00 a.m. game does nothing for developing players.

Amen to that! If it were really about the players and not a plastic trophy, Sundays would be round-robins that pitted 123, 456, 789, etc. What a wasted opportunity every weekend to put teams on the field that have similar skill levels to create more competitive games.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Apr 1, 2017
In the end though, blowouts are part of sports. There will never be parity, no matter how much people want it. You just hope that by end of the tournament, you have competitive games.

Minus the #1 seeds, the 12 top teams in the NFL played 6 playoff games last weekend. 4 of the 6 were blowouts.

Feb 25, 2018
Have seen this format:
Groups of 5 teams, all teams play 5 games. On Saturday you play 3 games against opponents from your group. Sunday your 1st game is against the team you haven't played yet. Your opponent for the second game on Sunday (5th of the weekend) is based on how you placed in your group. Finished with the third best record? You play the third place finisher from the other group.

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
Every team should have a YouTube channel that shows their players abilities, think that could help.

In the past I have coached in tournaments where after pool play the teams were split into A's and B's, with each having their own elimination play. The A's complained, but it gave the B's a chance to play more than one game on Sunday.

Around here there is also the problem of A's playing down in B level events for the trophy. Some tournament directors have refused entry to teams with a reputation for this kind of BS.

Sep 1, 2021
Rec/LL has turned into babysitting in many places; why did all the travel players leave? Lack of instruction, lack of facilities and lack of discipline from the local league players and parents.

We have a solid rec league but the player's still left. From my perspective, it was mainly about the parent's ego. Their kids were too good to play in rec. Some requested that their kids be able to play up, but it was rejected by the board because they just weren't that good.

May 10, 2021

I see this too. I have been to a few tourneys where they split into a consolation bracket and a championship bracket on Sunday.
For an 8 team event bottom 4 go to consolation bracket and are guaranteed 2 games win or lose. This is a great developmental tool for girls to improve and keeps games competitive. I am also seeing more and more round robins or 5-6 game guarantees also. I really like these as well. More kids play and you can develop.....but you have to have a coaching staff willing to develop but that is another discussion.

For everyone complaining about bad teams in good tournaments the same could be said for quality teams preying on community level teams.
I have seen really good club teams disguising themselves as "community" teams. I guess the money spends the same.

The #1 versus #8 on Sunday really isn't doing anyone any favors. Every team wants to play good competition and put their girls into quality situations.

A 3 inning 15 run rule game is not helping anyone.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
salgonzalez