Travel Coaches. Agenda items during High School season?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

As we all know any athlete playing on a high school team cannot participate with thier "club/travel" teams during the HS season. Typically from March 1st through early June.
During this travel coaches "off season", not only do I spend time checking items off the "Honey Do" list I also reconnect with friends and family to let them know I'm still alive! ( I try to squeeze in a few rounds of golf and a vacation)
Our coaching staff has the occasional confrence call for "state of the union" updates where we cover any team issues ie; final drafts of complete summer schedule, first aid kits, equipment inventory/condition, overall well being of our team, new stragies and so on. We also brainstorm new ideas to ensure an entertaing summer for the rest of our softball family.
I make it a point to actually enjoy being a spectator and catch a game or 2 to see each team member. Its great seeing the huge smiles as well as connecting on a social level with parents!!
I'm wondering what other coaches and or parents do during this time?

Jan 15, 2009
I also try to get to see as many of my girls play for their HS as possible. Last year I saw 6, this year I will try to get to the ones I missed last year first. One nice trend that we have going here is travel coaches from bigger organizations (including our own) running 10 week sping dome leagues from early March to early May for pre HS age kids (12U and younger 14U). The kids get a chance to work with an experienced coach for 8-10 weeks without any commitment for the summer (12U club teams aren't allowed here) and the travel coaches get a chance to keep doing what they love while on hold waiting for the HS season to be over. Of course it's a great way to test drive the entire club experience as well, but it's made clear up front that the spring team will dissolve at the end of the dome league and kids are expected to return to thier community teams. Some communities are large enough and active enought that they field entire teams at those age in the spring league, but this is a nice solution for the kids from smaller communities who want to get a jump start on the season, but only have a few kids willing to make that extra commitment.

Sep 6, 2009
State of Confusion
As we all know any athlete playing on a high school team cannot participate with thier "club/travel" teams during the HS season. Typically from March 1st through early June.

Not so fast. In some states they can. Some states also play HS ball in the fall , not the spring. Also march-Jun is pretty late, but may be normal for up north where its cold and snowy. Other areas are earlier in the year.

Most states allow HS players to attend "clinics" or camps. Travel team girls can practice and not be a "team" practice if there are girls from more than one team present. So mix igirls from different age groups together, or have them bring some HS teammates to practice too, focus on drills, batting, and they become "workouts" or clinics , and not a single team practice. Theres more than one way to circumvent stupid rules.

HS girls that dont play travel ball will appreciate some good instruction if their school doesnt provide it!

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2009
I believe in Illinois, there can be no more than 3 girls present from the same school at the same clinic in season.

Feb 8, 2009
Thanks for the insights. Any idea as to where I could find IHSA exact rules?
I'm afraid once I start poking around I'll be navigating through rules similar to this new health care reform :)
Go to ihsa.org. I believe the rules can be viewed there. They also have a frequently asked questions section. You should be helped there. If that doesn't do it for you, you can email them, and they will answer your questions.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dadmad