Travel Ball Parent Confessions

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 9, 2012
Dearborn, Mi.
Lets see, pretty athletic guy, nothing amazing. Some sports while young but got really good and played club hockey at school.
I was a firefighter/paramedic and got hurt on the job. After the injury I tired a few time to make a comeback and work again. My knee just wasn't willing to let me. I had to give up my career. At less than 40 having to start over threw me for a loop and I was pretty depressed.

My DD started playing HS JV softball after giving the sport up for about 3 years. She came home after a game and said, "dad will you work with me to get better" since then me and her have spent a ton of time together, worked on her game and it has really given me a reason to function at my normal level. I'm hard on her sometimes in which I need to pull back, but after losing something so dear to me that I worked hard to get, I know you have limited time to do what you want. Now, don't take that wrong, I'm not a lunatic but I push her when she get in that 15 year old "I'll do it later" mode.

I have to deal with my knee pain and can't quite show her the correct movement on certain things my knee is better off now that before. I'm so happy that now at 15 with about a year of play time, my kid is better than me at this sport than I ever was at baseball (I don't tell her that) and I have a connection and something to talk about with her. Which wasn't always easy before she caught the softball bug.

Jan 17, 2012
Kansas
Confession: I signed up my 6 year old DD for softball because I missed the deadline for soccer. She's 17 now, on a well-recognized travel team and committed to a D1 softball program. oops.

Sep 18, 2011
Here's my confession. I was a D1 hockey and tennis player. Never played baseball beyond the 6th grade. DD has played travel ball for 3 years and I've obviously watched a lot of games. I couldn't begin to teach the mechanics of hitting or pitching, but, and here comes my confession, I truly believe that I know more about softball strategy than 95% of the coaches that I've seen. Some of the moves they make are borderline idiotic. Believe me, I'm not one of those parents. I never say a word. But I notice the so-called little things. Here's but one example from 12U nationals last year. It's the final inning and our team has a TWO run lead. One out. Other team has runners at first and third. Runner at first had just walked. She is a bigger girl, not very fast. Because the other coach is also not very bright, he has the runner at first steal second on the first pitch. Our coach never let the catcher throw down to second with a runner on third all season (another point of contention), and this wasn't going to be an exception. The girl stole second without a throw. Can anyone explain the logic? Our catcher has a strong arm. Make that a very strong, accurate arm (no, not my DD). The other team is pretty much conceding an out. If the runner from thrid scores, so what? We have a two run lead, and it is the final inning. You have just allowed the tying run to steal second - uncontested. I mean what's the better situation? One has us up by two runs but with only one out and the tying run at second. The other has us up by one run but with two outs and the bases empty. Like I said, that's one of a thousand examples over the years, and our coach is no worse than anyone else. I see the same stupid decisions from every team. Man did it feel good to finally get that off my chest. :)

Feb 27, 2012
You are assuming an out at second. If she hasn't thrown down in that situation all year why would you try it for the first time in the last inning at Nationals? The opposing coach didn't put a pinch runner in because they were trying to bait a throw to second! What happens if the ball is thrown into center field? Still one out and tying run on 2nd or 3rd - the game is going to be tied the vast majority of the time in that situation. Maybe this coach is in the 5% that is smarter than you. Not many coaches at 12U are letting thier catchers throw down to 2nd in that situation. Probably a lot of safer plays to try and get the runner at third out on a fake throw to second.

Last edited:
Sep 18, 2011
You are assuming an out at second. If she hasn't thrown down in that situation all year why would you try it for the first time in the last inning at Nationals? The opposing coach didn't put a pinch runner in because they were trying to bait a throw to second! What happens if the ball is thrown into center field? Still one out and tying run on 2nd or 3rd - the game is going to be tied the vast majority of the time in that situation. Maybe this coach is in the 5% that is smarter than you. Not many coaches at 12U are letting thier catchers throw down to 2nd in that situation. Correction - not many Fast Pitch Softball coaches at any level are throwing all the way down to second in that situation. Probably a lot of safer plays to try and get the runner at third out on a fake throw to second.

I would say "agree to disagree," but I can't. I'm right and you are wrong. Welcome to the 95% club.

You cannot allow the tying run to steal second, uncontested, in that situation. The very worst thing that can happen is an errant throw into center which will allow the meaningless runner on third to score, but probably won't allow the runner on second to advance to third. But even if the worst happens, and the runner makes it to third, at least you made the proper play. The aggressive play. it's how the kids learn. It's the way to play the game. And you hit the nail on the head. Coach is so worried about "worst case scenario," he sits back on his heels. What about thinking positively? What about ending the game on a double play? Nail the runner at second and then fire a strike home and get that runner too. This is nationals, not Rec ball!! I will never understand coaches who simply allow the other team to run all over them, so worried about the runner on third scoring, even in the first inning. They are so worried about allowing one run to score that they end up allowing 4 or more runs to score by being passive. happens ALL THE TIME. Outs are good things. But then again this is simply my confession.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
So what happens after the uncontested steal? You said 4 more runs score. Would the "throw down 2nd out" have mattered?

Double play? Your talking about a 12U catcher ( pop time 2+ ) then the tag, then a fire to home for a tag. So at least 4.5 seconds if everything goes perfect.

If it was me at 12U I would have done the cut off to SS throw, pull the runner off 3rd, gunned her out and let the runner steal second. That way I've eliminated the lead runner and pushed the next scoring chance back on 2nd.

Apr 13, 2010
Confession: I signed up my 6 year old DD for softball because I missed the deadline for soccer. She's 17 now, on a well-recognized travel team and committed to a D1 softball program. oops.

A friend and I both agreed that we'd never be this lucky as parents.

Jun 25, 2011
Boise , ID
My youngest DD is following in her older Sisters foot steps and trying out for her Jr. High Cheerleading squad . I am terrified she will like it more than softball and quit which will be a bitter pill for me to swallow after watching her spend 7 seasons on the field .

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
My youngest DD is following in her older Sisters foot steps and trying out for her Jr. High Cheerleading squad . I am terrified she will like it more than softball and quit which will be a bitter pill for me to swallow after watching her spend 7 seasons on the field .

Great scholarships in cheerleading though.

Sep 18, 2011
So what happens after the uncontested steal? You said 4 more runs score. Would the "throw down 2nd out" have mattered?

Double play? Your talking about a 12U catcher ( pop time 2+ ) then the tag, then a fire to home for a tag. So at least 4.5 seconds if everything goes perfect.

If it was me at 12U I would have done the cut off to SS throw, pull the runner off 3rd, gunned her out and let the runner steal second. That way I've eliminated the lead runner and pushed the next scoring chance back on 2nd.

The 4 runs scoring clearly referred to other situations. In any event, your focus on the lead runner, the runner that DOES NOT MATTER, lands you in the 95% club as well. This would be shocking to me, but I've seen it for 3 years.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nate321