Transitioning Tips Needed

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 1, 2011
Now, I know we're going to struggle at the plate. We have 2 girls that we have converted to slappers, and both of them have really responded well, with the exception of pitch selection (again, something they have to learn). But, my main concern is the constant swinging and missing due to not being able to adjust to the speed of it all. We're facing girls that are probabLy throwing between 35 mph and 45 mph. None of our girls have really made the adjustment, and I'm trying to figure out a way to make that happen to where they are at least putting the ball in play more often. Any suggestions on helping them adjust to the speed? I've actually considered revving the pitching machine (and I don't really like using them) up to 50-55 mph for a few practices until the can start timing that, so that maybe 35-40 mph doesn't look that fast whenever we face the real thing, but part of me thinks that will just screw them up even more. We only have 1 pitcher right now that is really consistent at throwing strikes, but I don't want to just wear her out every day at practice just so the girls can get a bunch of quality swings. HELP!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2009
LOTS of front toss at varying distances by coaches. LOTS of long tee. Use real balls.

When they are at stations, work their mechanics; when they are batting, let them work their hitting. IOW, don't nitpick their hitting when in the box. If it's that bad put her back at a station.

Did I mention LOTS of front toss? Stay away from short tee nets except for stations or warmups.

Feb 3, 2011
You may not believe it, but you're way ahead of the game if your 1st-year 10u's are swinging and missing. That's a much better position to be in than having a bunch of 8yo's who won't swing at all.

Be patient. The magic will happen. It's a really fun ride if you and the other coaches are willing to take the time to enjoy it.