Transfer Drills for Catchers

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 12, 2015
All Over I Coach TB
Hey Coaches I need some help. I am loosing all 3 of my 18U catchers to D1 and D2 colleges after this season. I have started developing our new crop of them over the last few weeks. Very promising group of young ladies. Good arms, quick feet, pick well and present well. POP time are awful. Most still in the 1.9 - 1.7 range. I have been blessed with my last groups with very quick hands and short compact moves to all bases all 3 POP in the 1.5 - 1.6 range. I feel like the new group is loosing time in the transfer from glove to hand to release. I gotta get 2 - 3 tenths off from those times. Again, strong arms, good feet, no steps. They are just plain slow to get rid of the ball. HELP ME, my new group was 1 for 11 on retiring runners at a small showcase last weekend, and I think the one we got fell down when she broke to second. My other group would have got 10 of 11. I do teach NEC techniques but I can't find a good drill, I am not a fan of the fist behind the glove technique that some folks teach.

Thanks in advance :confused:

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
First, if their catcher throwing velocity is within 5 mph of their max overhand throwing velocity then I'd agree that it's a transfer issue. IME, the upper body and arm wait for the lower body and feet to throw so working on footwork and balance are crucial. Faster feet lead to shorter pops. Personally, I like the fist behind the glove - first for protection and second for a more out front transfer from glove to hand - basically just an upward lift (the body rotation brings the ball into proper position) - less movement is better and faster. IME, iif the transfer isn't made out front, there is a strong tendency for the glove to come up/back and the transfer to be made near the ear, which means that a) the clockwise rotation (RH thrower) may create balance issues; and, b) the throw must be delayed until the glove arm/shoulder to then counter-rotate and clear.

FWIW - 1.7-1.9 pops aren't chopped liver and likely will improve with repetition and increased strength (you may be forgetting that your current crew of studs didn't always pop 1.5-1.6).
FWIW2 - IMO "Showcase" pops are next to meaningless and game pops are the only thing that matters. The temptation to incorporate shortcuts to lower times during practice pops must be resisted! A true game pop of 1.8 with an accurate throw will get the job done nearly every time.
FWIW3 - make sure your MIFs are covering at the bag, not in front of it!

Oct 12, 2015
All Over I Coach TB
Good point on the glove rotation now that I think of it the older group does have much better rotation of the glove as it comes back. TY.

Like I said blessed with studs in the past. Can you think of a drill I can use to work on the glove rotation, and transfer. I may have them work with the fist behind the glove to quicken that up.

Thanks monsters.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TaraLynn0207