Training Aid or.......

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 12, 2008
Tuscola, IL
Was wondering if anyone has seen or know anybody you has used this? Thought I would change things up a little and talk about training aids. I am not big on them except a few, but I came across this just last night for the 1st time.
buy softball power drive

Mar 19, 2009
Was wondering if anyone has seen or know anybody you has used this? Thought I would change things up a little and talk about training aids. I am not big on them except a few, but I came across this just last night for the 1st time.
buy softball power drive

Not to sure about the gadget, but I remember this place from a post bragging about pitching speeds. Seems MA turns out more 60+ MPH pitchers per capita then anywhere else in the US.

Planet Fastpitch 60 & 70 MPH Speed Club

Nov 29, 2009
I can't see this bringing anything extra to the pitching motion that good ol' fashioned drills can't do. Especially for $245.

Jul 26, 2010
I can see use by a PC in limited scenarios such as a girl who is, for whatever reason, unable to learn how to make a proper sprinter start at the beginning of the pitch. I'd have her practice sprinter drills and even sign up for track and practice static jumps before using the tool. . . but if for some reason that didn't work, anything is worth a try, but then I'd only use it until the girl learns proper form, and then retire the training aid. This is why I don't think it's worth it for an individual pitcher.

I'm a strong advocate of girls practicing on as many different playing surfaces as possible, as playing fields vary and the pitcher needs to be able to adapt their footing to accommodate their environment. I've never seen a playing field that has one of those on it, however.

-W

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
I've never seen a playing field that has one of those on it...

Well, there was this one field in Oaklawn that had a 6 inch wide by 24 inches long and 6 inches deep hole in front of the rubber...

I've said this before...but I firmly believe that training aids are a waste of money.

Spend your money with Screwball, Amy, Hal, Ken, or one of the other fine pitching coaches on this board, and your daughter *WILL* improve. Spend your money on this junk, and you will have bought yourself a large doorstop.

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2009
Lets see, you can put the heel of her foot on a brick then have her push her toe down till it reaches the ground.

I have plenty of bricks I can give you for free, just send me $10 shipping and handling.

Jul 12, 2008
Tuscola, IL
well I was assuming that would be the response I would get. We have two training aids, the tight spin trainer and a indoor pitching mat with a rubber. I saw this thing and had to share it with everyone. The Oregon coach thinks it is great, to each his own I guess.

Jul 26, 2010
One thing I can see it helping with is the dreaded "toe turn out" that a lot of young pitchers have issues with. They'll often over-rotate their foot too far outside to the point where the knee actually bends outside. That looks hard to do with this little contraption. The knee should go straight towards the catcher.

I'm trying to have an open mind here. Again, there are plenty of other ways to teach this without spending the money on such a thing.

-W

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
They teach leaning on the back foot about a foot behind the rubber at young ages around here

:)

One Team we played taught their pitchers step off the mound with their plant foot to start their forward momentum; basically they were 3’ in front of the mound when they pitched. We saw 4 of their pitchers; all of them had the same move. I am sure a lot of work for the next coach unwinding that.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA