Trade off for longer bat

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 11, 2013
My DD is 12 lefty (not slapper) and currently has an older Vendetta 31/19. Needs to get to a bigger bat.

She has very quick hands so the a few extra ounces aren't a huge problem.

She has used the CF6 32/21 in the cages a little and hit well with it and also a 31/21 CF5 insane with good
results.

I was set on the 31/21 insane or standard cf6 but she really liked the 32/21.

I've read a lot of comments about not using more than drop 10 so I'm interested to hear what the performance
drop will be to get the extra inch but have a drop 11.

To complicate matters, she hits the ball very hard and I think will develop into a power hitter as she grows. Is it common to go from balance to end loaded as you get older.

I know there are many details, but any advice would be helpful.

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
Can she try a 32/22 and see how she likes that? In the long run she'd probably be better served if she can swing that. The construction on the drop 11s is supposedly different from the 10s.

My kids aren't power hitters but from all that I've read it is quite common for older hitter who are power hitters to move from a balance to an end-loaded bat as they age and develop.

Jun 24, 2013
Personally I would like the extra inch and take a hit on the drop.

12 YO DD is not very big and she is going to try a 32/22 this year. Next bat will probably be a 32/23 or something like that, I am happy she is at at 32, now we are going to change the drop.

I am a bit contrary here as I have personally seen and heard top Pac-12 head coaches recommend drop -12 and drop -11 bats to youngsters repeatedly. I am not sure how the tale was created but how someone can think that there is an issue with a 10-year-old swinging a drop -11 bat when many of our finest, fully-grown women professional softball players in their mid to late 20s swing drop -10s is beyond me. If the head coaches at several Pac-12 schools and others say it is OK for girls at their clinics to use drop -11 and drop -12 bats and recommend them, I am OK with it, too. Kids simply aren't as strong as adults!

I have always liked the DeMarini CF series in drop -11 for all girls hitting leather balls in competition who have yet to have a good dose of adult hormones running through their veins. It has great pop and a super-balanced feel that youngsters seem to almost universally swing well. I have been around this bat constantly since the first iteration of it came out, and I absolutely cannot tell the difference in pop between it and drop -10 composite bats of equal value. About 1/3 of my first-year 12U team uses this bat and that little team knocks the snot out of the ball. :)
Posted that on another thread.

The DeMarini drop -11 bats are plenty hot. I love the extra length they allow less mature girls to use at the plate with equal pop!

Dec 7, 2011
Side note - I see MANY folks here on DFP come to the table with "my DD is age X and has outgrown their bat".

On my list of "I wish I knew then what I know now" is:
- Never assume that the jump up to the next age bracket, or level of competition, will NOT affect your DD's need for a specific bat length/weight.

So go ahead and get that next step-up bat but DON'T sell the old one yet until your DD melds into that next age or skill level group.

My 2 cents free of charge :)

Jun 24, 2013
For my 12yo you need to lose/ hide her old equipment. If it was up to her she would never change anything, she grows attached to everything and doesn’t want to change.

My 2 cents free of charge :)

Feb 7, 2013
2014 CF6 31/21 might be perfect for her. Expensive, but very balanced and lots of pop. DD loves hers and she just came off of a RT 30/21.

Feb 7, 2013
Rocket, what are you thoughts about the insane versus the standard balanced?

I can't comment since she has never demo'd the end-loaded Insane. But DD going from end-loaded RT that was listed as 20oz but according to digital bathroom scale was actually 23oz, has a much quicker bat with the CF6. Now you have my curiousity to know what the scale weight of the CF6 actually is?

The bottom-line is if your DD likes an end-loaded bat go with the Insane. If she likes a more balanced bat, you can't go wrong with the CF6.

Jan 22, 2013
So Cal
I can't comment since she has never demo'd the end-loaded Insane. But DD going from end-loaded RT that was listed as 20oz but according to digital bathroom scale was actually 23oz, has a much quicker bat with the CF6. Now you have my curiousity to know what the scale weight of the CF6 actually is?

The bottom-line is if your DD likes an end-loaded bat go with the Insane. If she likes a more balanced bat, you can't go wrong with the CF6.

I bet the CF6 is no more that 0.5 oz heavier than listed weight. I weighed a Demarini Vendetta, 2 CF5's and all 3 were 0.5 oz over.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drid