Bat size

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 20, 2022
Natrona Heights PA
My daughter currently swings a 32/21. She’s 12. 5’ 4.5 and 150lbs. I looking to get her another bat but unsure if I should move up to a 33/23. She swings her current bat pretty well. This new bat will be for this season and Middle School next year. Opinions? IMG_6744.jpg

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
Okay, that's a 2 ounce jump, so it might be too much.

Here's what I was told by a former D1 head coach on how to determine correct bat size.

Have your daughter start her swing as if she's taking a full swing. Then have her stop the swing as if she's trying to check it. If the bat drags her through the zone, and you feel an umpire would call it a swing, it's too heavy.

Also, some bats are heavier than listed, so a 33-23 could be 24 ounces. The CF shown in the picture is a very true to weight and light swinging bat, so another model could exaggerate the weight difference.

Jun 11, 2012
Take her somewhere where she can swing a bunch of different bats.
Some kids always do better with lighter balanced bats like the one she currently has. Others prefer heavier slightly end loaded bats.
My DD has always been on the smaller size and always swung a heavier bat than most kids her size.
She’s a 5th year college student, she’s 5’5” and at max 125 lbs and has been swinging a 33/23 since she was probably 14

Aug 20, 2022
Natrona Heights PA
Take her somewhere where she can swing a bunch of different bats.
Some kids always do better with lighter balanced bats like the one she currently has. Others prefer heavier slightly end loaded bats.
My DD has always been on the smaller size and always swung a heavier bat than most kids her size.
She’s a 5th year college student, she’s 5’5” and at max 125 lbs and has been swinging a 33/23 since she was probably 14

The problem is no sporting goods stores around me have it where you can swing different bats and nobody else in her team swings composites (Rec)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aug 20, 2022
Natrona Heights PA
Okay, that's a 2 ounce jump, so it might be too much.

Here's what I was told by a former D1 head coach on how to determine correct bat size.

Have your daughter start her swing as if she's taking a full swing. Then have her stop the swing as if she's trying to check it. If the bat drags her through the zone, and you feel an umpire would call it a swing, it's too heavy.

Also, some bats are heavier than listed, so a 33-23 could be 24 ounces. The CF shown in the picture is a very true to weight and light swinging bat, so another model could exaggerate the weight difference.

Yeah she can def check her swing with this current bat. When she does check and lay the bat down it just touches the outside of the plate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

May 28, 2019
I'd move her to a 32 -10 before you ever introduce a 33". My dd is 5'7.5" whaling a 32 -10. Slowly been introducing a 33" lately. (check her hit in the brag forum so you can see her build and still swinging a 32".

Nov 18, 2015
Definitely go for a -10 - she's robbing herself of power swinging the lighter bat.

I also agree with probably not going up to a 33". We're 14U, and only one girl is swinging a 33 or 34. And she probably has a few inches and 20lbs on your daughter.

Lastly - don't buy her a bat to grow into - buy her a bat that's right for her now. (or for whenever she gets out of her cast?)

Sep 22, 2021
Sioux Falls, SD
My daughter currently swings a 32/21. She’s 12. 5’ 4.5 and 150lbs. I looking to get her another bat but unsure if I should move up to a 33/23. She swings her current bat pretty well. This new bat will be for this season and Middle School next year. Opinions? View attachment 27528
That current bat length above looks just fine, just move to a drop 10! I would rather have really good barrel control and move up late.

My daughter turned 12 a couple months back. We did go from 30 drop 11 end of October "knowing there'd be an adjustment period on a 2oz swing jump" in what would be our down part of playing year... we jumped to 31 drop 10 and she took about two months to really settle in with it.

Last edited:

CoreSoftball20

Wilson = Evil Empire
DFP Vendor
Dec 27, 2012
Kunkletown, PA
Man, 32/21 to a 33/23 is a HUGE jump (1inch and 2 ounces). Im not so sure I would be doing that unless she has used a teammates
33/23 bat during a game and you know for sure she is capable of that.

My first thought, just seeing the first sentence in your post, was doing a 32/22 before even reading the rest.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aclee4414