Tournament ramblings, or how was your day?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 26, 2011
Houston, Texas
Will let you know on Sunday/Monday how we do...we lost our SS/OF who left team at last minute (not committed, I think was reason). So we are playing ASA Metro qualifier for 12U A/B...only 9 teams but 3 teams are contenders, and of course, our first bracket game (8 a.m. an hour away on Saturday morning) is against top contender...with ONE pool game Friday night...also an hour away...go figure. And then we've had practice rained out by a bizarre and sudden storm last night. Too weird. So we have one practice remaining until qualifier this weekend.

Hope we are on our game!!! Would love a positive and surprising turnout. :)

Feb 3, 2011
Will let you know on Sunday/Monday how we do...we lost our SS/OF who left team at last minute (not committed, I think was reason). So we are playing ASA Metro qualifier for 12U A/B...only 9 teams but 3 teams are contenders, and of course, our first bracket game (8 a.m. an hour away on Saturday morning) is against top contender...with ONE pool game Friday night...also an hour away...go figure. And then we've had practice rained out by a bizarre and sudden storm last night. Too weird. So we have one practice remaining until qualifier this weekend.

Hope we are on our game!!! Would love a positive and surprising turnout. :)
That is odd for a starting SS to leave a team in June, but that opens up the door for one of your bench players to grab a starting job.

Our team will be playing in the 'B' Metros next weekend and we're hoping to make another deep run on Sunday, but first, we've got a big event here locally to battle through starting at 8am on Saturday.

Aug 26, 2011
Houston, Texas
That is odd for a starting SS to leave a team in June, but that opens up the door for one of your bench players to grab a starting job.

Haha...that's the other challenge...we now have 9 players with her gone. LOL. But I do believe we are picking up a player from our 2000 sister team...she's a 99 and has to move up to 14U next year anyway (and the 2000 team isn't committed to doing ASA or USFA this year), so this will be good. We have seen her play and she's good...has a lot of heart. :)

Aug 26, 2011
Houston, Texas
Following up on this...after losing our first bracket game at 8 a.m Saturday morning, the games were delayed considerably due to storms in the area. We finally got the call that our next game in loser's bracket will be at 9:30 PM Saturday night! The game did not start until almost 10 p.m. and we finished with a win at 11:45 PM. I caved and got a hotel room in the area since we had to be back at the fields by 7 a.m. and it's an hour drive home. The girls fought all day winning 3 games almost back to back (8 a.m., 11:30 am, 1:15 pm and 3:30 pm) and then had a heart wrenching loss in the 4th game...got 3rd place and did NOT qualify for Nationals. :( Not sure what we will do in terms of Nationals...we may go to Southern Nationals in Florida.

Here's a shot that I love...my dd is the tall one on the left:
lunapic_134003652435409_1.jpg

Edited to add...this is right after they group at the mound for a quick talk/discussion about the situation. They are yelling "IMPACT" which is part of the team name.

Oh, and how could I forget the juiciest part of the weekend?? Some of you may recall that my DD was cut from her team last year due to "inconsistent" hitting. Well...we played them yesterday @ 11:30...and we RUN RULED THEM! YES!!!!

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
The game did not start until almost 10 p.m. and we finished with a win at 11:45 PM. I caved and got a hotel room in the area since we had to be back at the fields by 7 a.m. and it's an hour drive home. The girls fought all day winning 3 games almost back to back (8 a.m., 11:30 am, 1:15 pm and 3:30 pm) and then had a heart wrenching loss in the 4th game...got 3rd place and did NOT qualify for Nationals. :(

Oh, and how could I forget the juiciest part of the weekend?? Some of you may recall that my DD was cut from her team last year due to "inconsistent" hitting. Well...we played them yesterday @ 11:30...and we RUN RULED THEM! YES!!!!

Sounds like the Team made a good run at it. :) and YES!!!!

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
My dd (14) played with the 18u team from our organization this past weekend. On the team is 3 girls who play on the local Junior college team. From what I learned at the tourney, most of the teams there were like ours. Mostly HS juniors and seniors and a few college girls.

My dd had one of her best tourneys ever, led the team in just about every offensive statistic. Plus caught half the game and pitched another. The team didn't play to expectations, but my dd left the tourney feeling like she belonged with the older girls. It was a huge confidence boost.

Oct 19, 2009
There are playing Dizzy Dean Recreation All-Stars softball in a field close to the house some of the rules are kind of odd. A team has to have matching uniform, including shoes, coaches have to have team matching coaches uniform, you need 10 players to start a game (they play with 4 outfielders), no dropped third strike and those are the ones I heard people gripping about.

They have pitching limits, but it’s counted by number of games pitched. If you pitch one pitch in a game you are credited with a game pitch. More than one team has ran out of pitchers from what I’ve seen. The 12U championship game was a forfeit because the starting pitcher had pitched her allowed number games.

There are playing Dizzy Dean Recreation All-Stars softball in a field close to the house some of the rules are kind of odd. A team has to have matching uniform, including shoes, coaches have to have team matching coaches uniform, you need 10 players to start a game (they play with 4 outfielders), no dropped third strike and those are the ones I heard people gripping about.

They have pitching limits, but it’s counted by number of games pitched. If you pitch one pitch in a game you are credited with a game pitch. More than one team has ran out of pitchers from what I’ve seen. The 12U championship game was a forfeit because the starting pitcher had pitched her allowed number games.

guess that says all we need to know...just does not sound like fast pitch softball

Apr 15, 2012
DD's team had a great weekend. Went 5-0 to win an ASA A State Championship in 10u. The team played amazing and really stayed focused all weekend. We scored 50 runs and only allowed 2 all tournament. I'm a very proud assistant coach and even more proud dad.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YOUNGG