Tournament ramblings, or how was your day?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 11, 2012
Lost in the championship game of the 16A Kansas City ASA NSC Recruiting Tournament.....26 top notch teams from different parts of the midwest....went 7-1 and man...was it hot in Kansas City all weekend....we ran out of gas a little in the championship game losing 6-3 to a very good second year 16A team.....we are a second year 14A team....very proud of the girls and off to Colorado this weekend for the Sparkler tournament.....

Nov 23, 2010
North Carolina
Interesting weekend.

First off, we are playing in the NC NSA state 14u championships which was played just across the state line in SC. Not complaining as it was just a 35 minute drive for me, but found it ironic.

Weather was beautiful all week-end, 85 degrees and no wind. It did get rather hot with all the concrete.

Our starting 3rd baseman quit the team about a week before the tournament. Our starting SS was not there because of vacation (her dad is required to plan his vacation a year ahead of time). We did pick up two guest players, one of them a 12u. It made for some interesting lineups, about 1/2 the players playing out of position. And then our #2 pitcher hurts her back, but still pitched and gave her all. She did a great job considering.

We began bracket play at 8am and won the three games for that day. Actually, we played two bracket games before two of the best teams even set foot on the field. Got to love the schedule makers.:)

Came back Sunday at 9:45 and lost the game putting us in the losers bracket. Wound up playing 4 games back to back and finally running out of gas in the last game, losing 15-3 to a team we had beaten twice for the championship in a tournament a month ago. So coming in third was not bad.

All in all it was a great week-end. The girls really showed some heart for the first time this year. The umpiring was really good except for a few missed calls. All the coaches were fantastic except for one obnoxious coach who ran his mouth loudly on and off the field. I met a lot of great parents from the other teams. And all the staff at the park were very helpful and pleasant.

DGD had a great week-end. Don't know what she batted but can only remember her making five outs. She is a power hitter and most of the teams know her so she doesn't get much to hit. She has developed a good eye so she walked six times.

Best line of the week-end, DGD muscles an inside pitch in front of the left fielder. While putting her catching gear on at the end of the inning, the bench coach asked her, "Didn't get a hold of that one, did you?". Her reply, "No sir, if I had, she wouldn't have seen it!"

Jun 21, 2010
This weekend our team got second in the gold bracket 14U. 16 teams in 14U. The game was close and we were ahead until the end and the other team won. But the last game wasn't as exciting as the second. The second game we finally played the other 14U team in our town. Our pitcher was on a roll with big smiles as she was getting her third strikes called. The crowd was amazing with some of the loudest cheering I've ever been involved in. Honestly, I didn't think we would win that game before it started, but for some reason the girls battled all the way to the end.

Coach-n-Dad

Crazy Daddy
Oct 31, 2008
The Bad: Travelled over 400 miles for a PGF qualifier (3 day tournament) in SoCal. Team went 2 and BBQ. DD saw the circle for 1.33 innings. Spent just short of $1,000 for the weekend. NOT HAPPY.

The Good: Temp in Huntington beach 72, temp at home 107. DD spent time at the beach with friends. Drove 1/2 day up Hwy 1 from Santa Monica to Oxnard (beautiful) and hit a couple of beaches along the way. Visited family for dinner, their home overlooks Santa Monica beaches.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
I love close to home tourneys. Played 2 games this evening, stopped at the store for some burgers and they are grilled and eaten already. Tomorrow we have to be to our field at 7:15, we leave the house at 6:50. And its only that early because we are picking up another girl.

10 miles of paved country roads and we are there.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
So my dd played with the 18u team again today. Had a great day at the plate and a good day in the field. The one game she pitched the HS coach was there. The team is 8 girls from our HS and 4 girls from the local Community College, once the HS coach showed up a guy from the stands came over to speak to him, it was the head coach of the local CC. As they were chatting and watching the game together my dd struck out a girl with a change, the CC coach blurted out, what a great change up. Later that inning she drove in 2 with a line shot in the gap. The cc coach started asking the HS coach about her.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaci’s biggest fan