Topspin Vs Bulletspin, Which is Faster?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
An un-cocked wrist can still intensify the energy generated from up the chain, as can the fingers.

You still haven't explained exactly how the wrist does this, all you've done is use a word 'intensify'. If the wrist (a joint) is going to add or generate any energy/velocity it has actually do something mechanically, articulate in a specific way. Since it's not 'snapping' or catapulting the ball forward what is it doing? If you don't know what it is doing mechanically then you are just stating a belief. My experience is that emphasizing wrist action (snap) at release is a very dangerous instruction and is often misinterpreted with negative consequences.

Jun 18, 2012
Utah
You still haven't explained exactly how the wrist does this, all you've done is use a word 'intensify'. If the wrist (a joint) is going to add or generate any energy/velocity it has actually do something mechanically, articulate in a specific way. Since it's not 'snapping' or catapulting the ball forward what is it doing? If you don't know what it is doing mechanically then you are just stating a belief. My experience is that emphasizing wrist action (snap) at release is a very dangerous instruction and is often misinterpreted with negative consequences.

How does the elbow, a joint, do it? Would that not have something to do with how the wrist and fingers do it as shorter levers at the end of the longer levers? This is where our disagreement lies. The flexion of the wrist and fingers alone should be sufficient to believe that they are, in fact, important in ball acceleration.

Jun 18, 2012
Utah
To me it seems cocking your wrist with a baseball and doing something with it is certainly easier than doing that with a softball.

Please tell me who is advocating cocking the wrist?????! I can't think of a single post in this thread where I or anyone else advocates cocking the wrist.

Further, if it's true that the wrist provides "a mere 5 percent to velocity," the pitcher should completely ignore it? Is that 5 percent just the wrist of the action of the wrist and fingers together?

Look back at that Sarah Pauly clip above. Boy, there is a lot of wrist action there. Do I think her wrist was cocked going into release. NOPE! Do I believe her wrist/hand/fingers intensified the energy coming from up the chain? You bet!

Further, there is no doubt that most of the energy comes to the wrist/hand/fingers from up the chain. But one sure way to take velocity off the ball (like for a change up) is to reduce the flexion in the wrist/hand/fingers.

Boardmember, Rick Pauly, Javasource, other experts..... am I wrong?

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
I think you have to decide if you believe/trust in the concept of whip. If/when you do, you may decide that the focus of the wrist/hand/fingers is to be loose, and allow whip to happen. Arm Whip offered some good advice: focusing on the wrist/fingers as adders may be counter-productive.

Doug, trust me, we're not arguing with you. Your dedication to learning and teaching pitching mechanics is obvious. You're light years ahead of most folks that try to teach this stuff.

Jun 18, 2012
Utah
I think you have to decide if you believe/trust in the concept of whip. If/when you do, you may decide that the focus of the wrist/hand/fingers is to be loose, and allow whip to happen. Arm Whip offered some good advice: focusing on the wrist/fingers as adders may be counter-productive.

Doug, trust me, we're not arguing with you. Your dedication to learning and teaching pitching mechanics is obvious. You're light years ahead of most folks that try to teach this stuff.

I completely agree with your "focus of the wrist/hand/fingers is to be loose, and allow whip to happen" comment. Problem is, I believe there is a subtle, though powerful, somewhat controlled flexion in the wrist/hand/finger action that is vital in getting maximum velocity out of the overall pitching action. Otherwise, I think the ball would fall out of your hand as your forearm approaches your back rear cheek.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
When you can identify what the specific action is, and how to teach it--I'll be all over it! Every tool we can effectively teach our kids is a plus!

Doug
Here is my experience relative to the contribution of the wrist relative to speed. IMO the wrist adds very little to the speed equation....it's primary function is to create direction and to put the fingers in position for the various movement pitches.

I have done this experiment many times: 1. Check a girls top mound speed with a radar gun....let's say it is 60 mph. 2. Now put a brace on her wrist that doesn't allow the wrist to bend (i use a bowling glove brace that has an aluminum plate on both the front and back of the hand....totally "locking" the wrist)........give the girl about 5-6 pitches to get used to the feel then check her speed. Normally girls will be withing 2 mph or less of their top speed (58--59mph). I have had two girls throw faster with the brace on.......haven't analyzed that one to much yet. It might be the fifth point of resistance......anyone have thoughts on that?

Please tell me who is advocating cocking the wrist?????! I can't think of a single post in this thread where I or anyone else advocates cocking the wrist.

Further, if it's true that the wrist provides "a mere 5 percent to velocity," the pitcher should completely ignore it? Is that 5 percent just the wrist of the action of the wrist and fingers together?

Look back at that Sarah Pauly clip above. Boy, there is a lot of wrist action there. Do I think her wrist was cocked going into release. NOPE! Do I believe her wrist/hand/fingers intensified the energy coming from up the chain? You bet!

Further, there is no doubt that most of the energy comes to the wrist/hand/fingers from up the chain. But one sure way to take velocity off the ball (like for a change up) is to reduce the flexion in the wrist/hand/fingers.

Boardmember, Rick Pauly, Javasource, other experts..... am I wrong?

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
It might be the fifth point of resistance......anyone have thoughts on that?

Nothing solid. Only some random whys and what-ifs. This thing we call "whip" is amazingly intriguing and complex.

Jun 18, 2012
Utah
Doug
Here is my experience relative to the contribution of the wrist relative to speed. IMO the wrist adds very little to the speed equation....it's primary function is to create direction and to put the fingers in position for the various movement pitches.

I have done this experiment many times: 1. Check a girls top mound speed with a radar gun....let's say it is 60 mph. 2. Now put a brace on her wrist that doesn't allow the wrist to bend (i use a bowling glove brace that has an aluminum plate on both the front and back of the hand....totally "locking" the wrist)........give the girl about 5-6 pitches to get used to the feel then check her speed. Normally girls will be withing 2 mph or less of their top speed (58--59mph). I have had two girls throw faster with the brace on.......haven't analyzed that one to much yet. It might be the fifth point of resistance......anyone have thoughts on that?

Rick, First, let me say THANK YOU! I do greatly respect what you say.

Secondly, I'm close. I would have guessed the wrist/hand/fingers action potentially increase the speed 3-4 mph. I think that is significant. The "within 2 mph" for what the wrist adds is certainly much more than the 1-2 tenths of a mph. I suppose what's missing in your wrist brace is that there would still be flexion/action in the fingers. It would be interesting to know what the additional velocity is due to the complete unit of the wrist/hand/fingers is. If it is 2-4 mph, we should be interested in that. You see, given the complex association between the wrist and the fingers, if the wrist along is adding 1-2 mph, I would think the complete unit of the wrist/hand/fingers would add more than 2 mph after all is said and done. Maybe I'm counting some of the effect of the ball rolling off those last two finger pads of the relevant fingers.

Hell, I've lost track of what got me going on this @*#&$&$- debate regarding the wrist/hand/fingers.

Jun 18, 2012
Utah
Nothing solid. Only some random whys and what-ifs. This thing we call "whip" is amazingly intriguing and complex.

No doubt, extremely complex! Thus the need to learn "the feel" of a velocity-maximizing whip-release action.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06