Took on an additional coach.... how would you handle this?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 26, 2009
GA
We are part of a travel team that has been together for well over a year with absolutely no problems or drama.... :)rolleyes: I Hate drama!!!)
Anyway, recently the head coach received an email from one of the parents requesting to be on the coaching staff. Without talking this over with the other 2 coaches, that have been coaches since the beginning of this team, the head coach tells this parent that, yes he can come on board as part of the coaching staff.
After the fact, informs the other 2 coaches of the "new" coach.

This is quite disturbing to the other 2 coaches since the "head" coach had no regards to these coaches thoughts or plans.

Have any of you had this happen with your teams? How did you handle? or any advice?

Thanks for your help! :confused:

Jul 26, 2010
I've never been part of a successful organization that was run as a democracy.

Who is the manager? Is it the "head coach"? If so, it's his call.

-W

Feb 9, 2009
It's the head coaches call.

Why do people get their panties in a wad over stuff like this? Are we so easily offended nowadays??

Feb 24, 2010
Based on how things seem to go, sounds like the two assistants will be head coaches next year - of their own NEW travel team!

Oct 18, 2009
It's definitely the head coaches call. While it might be nice there is really no need to ask the other 2 coaches for "permission". If the head coach had doubts maybe he/she might want input; but if the head coach thought this new coach could help they just need to make the decision and move on.

Two questions: Are you one of the "two coaches" and why would one team need 4 coaches? At the end of the day, it's not worth getting irritated. If that parent is willing to donate his time to the program, more power to 'em. IMO - the other coaches should welcome the help.

Jul 30, 2010
Pennsylvania
Two questions: Are you one of the "two coaches" and why would one team need 4 coaches? At the end of the day, it's not worth getting irritated. If that parent is willing to donate his time to the program, more power to 'em. IMO - the other coaches should welcome the help.

Our team has 4 coaches. 2 have kids on the team, the head coach and pitching coach do not. The head coach is in charge, no question. All coaches on our team have a job or as we like to call it, a roll. None of us have agendas. It is, was and always should be about the players. We do not teach 4 ways. we teach 1 way. We do not have 4 goals, we have 1. Our message is very clear and it is 1.

Feb 26, 2010
Crazyville IL
It's the head coaches call. The only time I'd get my shorts in a knot is if the new guy was teaching the kids to do things in a manner inconsistet with our program. Otherwise, welcome aboard. Now I don't have to carry so much crap to the dugout from the parking lot and maybe I can share out some responsibilities and focus more on what I have left to be more efficent and effective. I won't complain about having more time to watch the games because of division of labor and have more time for 1 on 1 work with those that need it thanks to the extra help.

Our team has 4 coaches. 2 have kids on the team, the head coach and pitching coach do not. Our message is very clear and it is 1.

Hadn't thought about it in that sense. Our HS team has 3 - head with two assistants, one specifically for batting. They do have a pitching coach who has been in absentia this summer (out of state), so I failed to count him. Didn't mean to offend...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gmc7283