Tony Gwynn

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Really like this simple hover drill;

Mass moving forward while keeping the back hip loaded. Makes more sense to my DD when we refer to it as Back hip, and not leg. When saying back leg loaded she tends to sit on it too much and sometimes the back knee extends pass the back foot.

Correct Julray. It is the back hip that remains ‘loaded’. Some prefer that the back hip stays loaded throughout the sequence. Some think you drive the back knee down and in. But at the same time the back leg is loaded... the connection to the ground is keeping both loaded. Very important imo.

Personally I prefer a ‘dead’ rear leg as imo the back hip gets pulled into the swing after the swing is initiated. Simultaneously the back knee gets pulled down and in and the rear hip goes into rotation. That’s why you won’t see the same back foot action every swing. The back foot action is based off of timing, intent as well as pitch local. Just some observations on my part.

Last edited:
May 12, 2016
Correct Julray. It is the back hip that remains ‘loaded’. Some prefer that the back hip stays loaded throughout the sequence. Some think you drive the back knee down and in. But at the same time the back leg is loaded... the connection to the ground is keeping both loaded. Very important imo.

Personally I prefer a ‘dead’ rear leg as imo the back hip gets pulled into the swing after the swing is initiated. Simultaneously the back knee gets pulled down and in and the rear hip goes into rotation. That’s why you won’t see the same back foot action every swing. The back foot action is based off of timing, intent as well as pitch local. Just some observations on my part.

Over the winter this has made quite an impact on my DD's swing. I haven't been working with her for a while because she is currently practicing more with her team. But I just cleaned the garage out and will be sitting up the bow net this evening. Let's see what bad habits she's picked up, :)

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Over the winter this has made quite an impact on my DD's swing. I haven't been working with her for a while because she is currently practicing more with her team. But I just cleaned the garage out and will be sitting up the bow net this evening. Let's see what bad habits she's picked up, :)

Lol. I know the feeling. Hopefully you’ll post some video. Would like to see your DDs progression.

Sep 17, 2009
Thanks for the response. Please explain further about other patterns you teach or subscribe too that can get hitters into a forward yet back(balanced hitting position). If you don’t mind.

There's only one basic sequence that I think is optimal (maybe you disagree) but many ways to implement it. I don't have or subscribe to a 'pattern' philosophy per se. My only point is that no-stride and big-move-out-stride both can be challenging for young hitters to do well. I gave MLB examples that excel with both. However, with younger hitters with no-stride it's easy to not really create a proper sequence (as Pujols does so well) because everything sort of happens under the covers, stealthily. With big stride or big leg kick it's easy to think those things alone are going to get you to where you need to be (NOT saying that's what you've described) and to lose the coil or simply fall out to the front leg. I like to teach something simpler on the front-side (an up down or hover) and put my teaching emphasis on things I believe are more critical and too often overlooked -- proper coil, pull-back, stretch, hand-pivot, etc. I think we are more in agreement than not but oh well....

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
There's only one basic sequence that I think is optimal (maybe you disagree) but many ways to implement it. I don't have or subscribe to a 'pattern' philosophy per se. My only point is that no-stride and big-move-out-stride both can be challenging for young hitters to do well. I gave MLB examples that excel with both. However, with younger hitters with no-stride it's easy to not really create a proper sequence (as Pujols does so well) because everything sort of happens under the covers, stealthily. With big stride or big leg kick it's easy to think those things alone are going to get you to where you need to be (NOT saying that's what you've described) and to lose the coil or simply fall out to the front leg. I like to teach something simpler on the front-side (an up down or hover) and put my teaching emphasis on things I believe are more critical and too often overlooked -- proper coil, pull-back, stretch, hand-pivot, etc. I think we are more in agreement than not but oh well....

Yeah. Probably our terms or lingo differ. Wouldn’t be the first time on these boards. Thanks for the response.

May 3, 2014
Regardless of stride / no stride your swing boils down to being able to time your launch so that the time it takes your swing to go from launch to contact coincides with the ball being there. In Judge's case he was late to getting to a good launch position on occasion which made him susceptible to K's. The no stride approach helps him get to launch position on time way more consistently. WRT Donaldson his large actions would not be what I would call model for the same reasons Judge went to no stride. Gary Sanchez is another non model type. Not saying you have to go no stride, but it certainly helps cut down timing issues.

Leg kicks are not ideal for most amateur hitters because they are usually combined with large arm actions. If the arms are quiet then I am ok with leg kicks.

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Regardless of stride / no stride your swing boils down to being able to time your launch so that the time it takes your swing to go from launch to contact coincides with the ball being there. In Judge's case he was late to getting to a good launch position on occasion which made him susceptible to K's. The no stride approach helps him get to launch position on time way more consistently. WRT Donaldson his large actions would not be what I would call model for the same reasons Judge went to no stride. Gary Sanchez is another non model type. Not saying you have to go no stride, but it certainly helps cut down timing issues.

Leg kicks are not ideal for most amateur hitters because they are usually combined with large arm actions. If the arms are quiet then I am ok with leg kicks.

IME AJs problems stem from lack of balance during his initiation of his sequence and as well as his lack of dynamic balance during his ‘forward move’. A no stride should get him a bit more balanced. But the habit of waiting on the back leg for the ball to get deep with an ‘oppo’ approach isn’t what I would prescribe. It lacks adjustability and he will remain a one pitch at a time hitter or guess hitter. Just my observations.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
giphy.gif

Same load, same actions/directions.

May 12, 2016
With no stride learning the proper sequence can be tough. I know, I stride and I tried to learn sequencing with a no stride approach(my DD is a no stride hitter) and failed, :). However I learned to focus on the hips more, staying coiled and weighted into that back hip as my body progressed forward, things became a lot easier. There are very good benefits to no stride as well, especially with an athlete who over thinks things. It's one of my favorite workarounds for those hitters who are nervous causing the restless feet and stepping in the bucket

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles