Toni Paisley & Esia FootDoctor team up

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
Look at any track race involving sprinting. There are always 2 blocks, one for each foot. Surely there must be a really good reason for this set up.
I don't think that sprinting applies. When I look at a pitcher's back leg, the stride leg, it is generally very straight at launch, so I have trouble seeing where the thrust is coming from, the calf looks like the only muscle that could be active. Pitchers roll into launch so maybe there is some force in there that activates the QOH. I'd like to know where in the motion the QOH clicks, this will tell me what position the body is in and what muscles are active.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
I am very surprised that the back foot supplies more drive, I just don't see it when I look at video but maybe I'm just seeing what I expect to see. What do you mean 'with heel drop'?
Thanks for that—I updated the post and used back foot drop.

I was surprised when I found the stride leg could get higher numbers. I would say that shouldn’t be the goal as it’s possible to cheat to get a high number with no benefit. The goal is to teach awareness that the stride leg can have a role in creating drive. The sequence becomes a push push, instead of a lean, fall then push.

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
I have not seen the QOTH in person but could it be that the force from the stride leg is mostly from the pitcher's weight? In this case much of the force is vertical rather than horizontal and less effective.

The QOTH only works with horizontal force. You can jump up and down on it with no result.

Feb 15, 2017
I am very surprised that the back foot supplies more drive, I just don't see it when I look at video but maybe I'm just seeing what I expect to see. What do you mean 'with heel drop'?

We have used the QOTH on both feet off and on but I never really thought to compare the difference between the stride and drive foot. Well, last night we did it and I was amazed to see the stride foot slightly higher. She consistently gets 7 on the drive foot but without any work at all was getting 7.5 to the springs max at 8. At times she has a tendency to karate kick that stride foot and of course this pulls the back hip open and then she gets less/no brush. We noticed immediately that using the QOTH on the stride foot it cleaned this up without any focused effort.

Love this DFP community- DD is so much further ahead of where she would be without the great minds here. Thanks for the great idea @Ken B ; !

May 21, 2018
I don't think that sprinting applies. When I look at a pitcher's back leg, the stride leg, it is generally very straight at launch, so I have trouble seeing where the thrust is coming from, the calf looks like the only muscle that could be active. Pitchers roll into launch so maybe there is some force in there that activates the QOH. I'd like to know where in the motion the QOH clicks, this will tell me what position the body is in and what muscles are active.

Curious how much force from the leg drive do you think gets transferred into the actual arm whip? My DD rocks into her motion and honestly has a fairly weak leg drive. She's 12 and has clocked at 58 at pitching lessons (off pocket radar, and I have no idea how accurate that is, but she is consistently at 56 to 57 on it) so I'm hesitant to mess with her too much.

I do find this topic interesting and I find what the Foot Doc. is saying makes a lot of sense, but I'm not sure if the "juice is worth the squeeze" when it comes to working on this.

Sep 30, 2013
Northwest, IN
Curious how much force from the leg drive do you think gets transferred into the actual arm whip? My DD rocks into her motion and honestly has a fairly weak leg drive. She's 12 and has clocked at 58 at pitching lessons (off pocket radar, and I have no idea how accurate that is, but she is consistently at 56 to 57 on it) so I'm hesitant to mess with her too much.

I do find this topic interesting and I find what the Foot Doc. is saying makes a lot of sense, but I'm not sure if the "juice is worth the squeeze" when it comes to working on this.

Rocking start motion is just fine. What matters is that you get to the launch postion where muscle activtion can occur and glutes and hips can fire. I have had several kids start in the sprinter start and lose velo. To me there has to be some pre loading going on, wether it's a rocking start, a simple slide of the front foot back towards the body, something. Just my 2 cents. Didn't Esia work with Rachel Garcia? Is she starting in this new position or does she rock and then get to the certain position?

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
Thanks for that—I updated the post and used back foot drop.

I was surprised when I found the stride leg could get higher numbers. I would say that shouldn’t be the goal as it’s possible to cheat to get a high number with no benefit. The goal is to teach awareness that the stride leg can have a role in creating drive. The sequence becomes a push push, instead of a lean, fall then push.
I have been thinking about this and wonder if you could take some close up video of the stride pushing off and so we could check the shin angle and the foot in relation to the ground and see where in the launch the 'click' is happening. I am also thinking that since the QOH is a spring loaded device it measures 'peak' thrust and not total force. So the push off foot might contribute more, but it might ramp up slower and not trip the 'click' at the same point.

Apr 23, 2020
SE Wisconsin

Wow, 58 at 12 that is impressive! My DD is 12 as well. She has pretty solid mechanics but has been 44-45 for awhile (also measured with Pocket Radar). If you don't mind sharing what are a couple of traits you contribute your DD's speed too?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi